That's rather odd.  Guido van Rossum, inventor of Python,
was if memory serves me correctly, worked for several
years on the ABC programming language developed at the CWI
by Guerts, Meertens and Pemberton as amongst other things a
beginners' language.  I gather van Rossum didn't like it,
but because of ABC's beginner emphasis surely they must have
thought about error messages a lot?

One thing about ABC (which can be downloaded from
http://homepages.cwi.nl/~steven/abc/implementations.html)
is that the error messages are in a file that's easy to
rewrite and replace.  I know that Python provides a
gettext module for Python programmers to use; presumably
it uses gettext to report errors itself, in which case it
should be possible to rewrite the error messages yourself
to something beginners find easier.