Hi Linda, good to hear your voice.

>From way back,  see Ben du Boulay's paper "Fatal error in pass zero" on
what not to say to novices : and Mark Eisenstadt co-authored a paper where
they looked at every error report issued to a class of beginners and
analysed every single one. That was in a very simple knowledge
representation language called Solo. Although neither will be directly
applicable, the way they reasoned about novices could be very helpful.
Please report your eventual conclusions or at least a literature review to
help fill the gap in knowledge!

All the best in this

Thomas

until further notice: