Hello All,

Good to hear from so many familiar PPIG contributors

>>This seems to work reasonably well in verbose form, but does need to be
>>accompanied by a >>terser format, especially for experts who seem to on a
>>first pass only pay attention to where >>something went wrong, and ignore the
>>rest.

I agree with Luke here and find that using verbose descriptions of code
statements works well in programming teaching/learning in general. These
verbose descriptions can become terser and terser as the student moves further
along the proficiency continuum.  In fact, this approach can be
developed/tailored by the individual student and can be very useful from a
self-regulated learning perspective.

>>I agree this experience is critical in education. I conjecture that it's a
>>necessary component of >>maintaining self-efficacy amongst students. There
>>have been studies in the past indicating that >>this is an important factor
>>in success.

Once again I agree with Luke and I feel that the whole area of SRL in novice
computer programming education is under-researched.

messages, which surprises me.
Am I missing something? Is there a treasure trove somewhere? If not, is there
at least some solid research on which we could base the design of a beginner
friendly Python interpreter?
Any and all clues gratefully received.
Linda

--

Exploring Life, Parenting and Social Justice: http://lindamciver.wordpress.com/
Computational Science Education: http://computeitsimple.wordpress.com/

Dr Linda McIver
Teacher & Freelance Writer
--
Buy Fair Trade - Change the world one coffee at a time