<quote>Personally, I would place value on the development of these
organisational / design skills rather than certain means to achieve them.
Note that these originate as professional / ethical concerns rather than of
any given business or organisation. I would be wary of the valuation of
visualisation tools etc, as a means of postponing addressing good design
(new silver-bullet merchandise) . Similarly, devoting time to describing
the structure of code will certainly help with a reflexive appreciation for
such structural concerns.</quote>

That kinda reads to me like an either/or thing that is setting up 2
different sides and purporting they can't get along. And that the setup is
due to misconstruing the way in which tools can and should be used. (I
mean, why don't we all go back to machine code, otherwise?)

For me, the point is that if there are good things to do, then it would be
even better if our systems helped to do those good things, and to refify
them and encode them in the system. That way other people and my future
selves can look at the system and understand it as much as possible, so
that there is less reliance on the cultural memory around the code. Not
because I devalue cultural memory, but because I think it is important in
many ways to have backups, alternatives, and supports for the cultural
memory.

sincerely.