On 3/05/16 10:07 AM, Peter Sim wrote:
Greetings

I'm a secondary/high school teacher. I'm also enrolled in a masters paper on teaching programming.

Is anyone aware of any literature concerning students being able to choose the language they use to learn programming? In our particular case it's going to be Scratch vs Python.

Thanks heaps if you're able to help me.

I've looked, and while there's a lot about school-intended programming
languages, the only thing I found that seemed relevant is

https://www.kidscodecs.com/how-to-pick-a-programming-language/

One idea in that page is that students might learn programming as a
way of adapting something else.  A thing that leaps to my mind is
NetLogo https://ccl.northwestern.edu/netlogo/ which I had a lot of
fun with myself.

There's the obvious point that people of any age can't choose a language
they've never heard of. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_educational_programming_languages#Children
has a long list of programming languages meant for children, and I could
not make a meaningful choice from them myself.  I certainly couldn't
make a choice between Scratch and Alice, for example.

So I think the starting question is "HOW would they choose"?
And another one: "do they all have to choose the SAME language?"

http://nzacditt.org.nz/resources/programming-and-cs/level-1-programming-python
mentions other languages but all the resources I checked seem to be for Python.

The more I think about it, the more I think that having the students spend a couple of weeks finding out about your two alternatives in order to make an informed choice
could be a valuable lesson in itself.