Hi Brett,

It's awesome to find more work in this area. Your thesis sounds really
interesting, please do email when it's up. I've downloaded your article and
am very much looking forward to reading it. I'm really glad to hear the
project is ongoing.

Please keep in touch!

Linda

On 6 October 2016 at 01:12, Brett Becker <brettabec...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Linda and all,
>
> My work on enhancing compiler error messages in Java has been published by
> *Computer
> Science Education. *I believe that as a 'recent article' it is free to
> download (for the moment anyway) from http://www.tandfonline.com/
> action/showAxaArticles?journalCode=ncse20.
>
> I also have the accepted manuscript available on my personal webpage here:
> http://www.brettbecker.com/becker2016effective/, along with a free link
> to the paper if it isn't freely available at T&F, but I think as a 'recent'
> article it is.
>
> Soon I will have my 2015 thesis online which includes details on the
> ground-work. I'll send another email when that is up.
>
> I hope that some of you find this of interest. As I said in my earlier
> post the software is at the end of its life in many ways but I have a PhD
> student starting now who is going to revive/update/expand the project. I'll
> let you know of any interesting developments.
>
> Regards,
>
> Brett
>

> On Monday, 18 April 2016 09:38:16 UTC+1, Brett Becker wrote:
>>

>> Hi Linda,
>>
>> I have just completed a masters thesis on enhancing Java compiler error
>> messages. The thesis in its entirety isn't online yet - I'm waiting for a
>> few administrative hurdles to be jumped. What I do have that may help at
>> the moment are the following:
>>

>>    1. I have attached a pdf containing about 120 references, mainly on
>>    novice programmer behavior and enhancing error messages, with a slight
>> bias
>>    towards Java, but there are plenty of references on other languages also.
>>    Some of these took a long time to track down, and I only discovered some
>>    later than I would have hoped, so I hope this gives you a jump start.
>> There
>>    are a number of references on software that enhances error messages and on
>>    designing good error messages. There are several PhD and MSc theses
>>    included that aren't always available on google scholar - some of them are
>>    hiding in fairly dark corners of the net. If you have trouble tracking
>>    anything in particular down let me know. I should have copies of all of
>>    these.
>>    2. I recently presented some of these results at SIGCSE:
>>    (http://dl.acm.org/citation.cfm?id=2844584&CFID=602145466&CF
>>    TOKEN=63845132
>>
>> <http://dl.acm.org/citation.cfm?id=2844584&CFID=602145466&CFTOKEN=63845132>).
>>    I found that for the groups that participated in my study and using my
>>    software, enhancing errors did make a positive difference in terms of
>>    number of overall errors committed, the number of errors per student, for
>>    some error messages the number of errors per error message, as well as to
>>    some extent the number of repeated (consecutive) errors.
>>
>> The software is now several years old and has reached its end of life in
> [...]

Exploring Life, Parenting and Social Justice:
http://lindamciver.wordpress.com/
Computational Science Education: http://computeitsimple.wordpress.com/

Dr Linda McIver
Teacher & Freelance Writer
--
Buy Fair Trade - Change the world one coffee at a time