http://goo.gl/ThkX8J

apologies if this is nothing new here.
sorry for bad paste formatting below.

Subrecursive Programming Languages, Part h Efficiency
and Program Structure
ROBERT L. CONSTABLE
Cornell University, Ithaca, New York
AND
ALLAN B. BORODIN
University of Toronto, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
ABSTRACT. The structural complexity of programming languages, and therefore
of programs
as well, can be measured by the subrecursive class of functions which
characterize the language.
Using such a measure of structural complexity, we examine the trade-off
relationship between
structural and computational complexity.
Since measures of structural complexity directly related to high level
languages interest us
most, we use abstract language models which approximate highly structured
languages like
Algol.
KEY WORDS AND PHRASES: programming languages, universal machine,
computational com-
plexity, complexity class, subrecursive hierarchy, program size, primitive
recursive functions,
elementary functions, Loop language, Grzegorczyk hierarchy, speed-up
theorem
CR CATEGORIES: 4.20, 4.22, 5.22, 5.24