this is a pretty specific topic, but I'm looking for material/research
related to the psychological effects of software defects on developers.
specifically, I'm wondering if there's any research that shows developers
feel an emotional benefit from finding/fixing a software defect (and
further that the emotional benefit is psychologically valuable to
developers to the point it becomes a deterrent to adopting development
practices that promote defect prevention).

or put another way... if software developers (problem solvers) actually
enjoy finding/fixing defects (solving problems), is the personal joy they
feel great enough that it becomes a barrier to defect prevention
(preventing problems)?

anyone aware of work along these lines? or have an opinion?

thanks!

-neil