Hi all,

We are currently working on using cognitive dimensions based questionnaire
method [1
<https://pdfs.semanticscholar.org/3070/50336473ade2daec41bc1846d26ee506b165.pdf>
][2 <http://www.drdobbs.com/windows/measuring-api-usability/184405654>] for
evaluating the usability of APIs, specially security APIs. We are planning
to evaluate cognitive dimensions
<http://www.drdobbs.com/windows/measuring-api-usability/184405654> and the
questionnaire
<https://groups.google.com/forum/?hl=en#!topic/ppig-discuss/7UtLBsmFbTk> [3]
used
by Steven Clarke and improve it to use in security API context.

However, we are concerned about the length of the questionnaire and how it
will affect the outcome of the questionnaire. We are planning to let
participants do a programming task which will make use of an API and then
answer the CD questionnaire based on their experience. We assume this whole
process will take around 3 hours. We have improved the questionnaire with
additional 3 dimensions which made the framework to have 15 dimensions.
Each dimension has approximately 4 questions which makes questionnaire
60-70 questions long. We feel that participants will feel frustrated in the
middle of answering questionnaire, and the quality of the answers they
provide will reduce. However, we are not sure is this is the real case
since this methodology is already in use, specially in Microsoft according
to Clarke.

I would like to know, if some of you have used a cognitive dimensions based
questionnaire for usability evaluation, have you observed any issues
related to the length of the questionnaire, does anyone has a feedback on
this? Also is there anything that can be done to overcome the issues?

Thank You!

[1]. Blackwell, A.F. and Green, T.R., 2000, April. A Cognitive Dimensions
questionnaire optimised for users. In *Proceedings of the Twelfth Annual
Meeting of the Psychology of Programming Interest Group* (pp. 137-152).
[2]. Clarke, S., 2004. Measuring API usability. *Doctor Dobbs Journal*,
*29*(5),
pp.S1-S5.
[3]. https://groups.google.com/forum/?hl=en#!topic/ppig-discuss/7UtLBsmFbTk