U.S. Airstrike in Fallujah Kills 14 

BAGHDAD, Iraq - In the sixth U.S. airstrike since last month, 
American jets Sunday hit a position in Fallujah purportedly used by 
foreign militants, demolishing a house and killing 14 people, 
hospital and local officials said. 

Interim Iraqi Prime Minister Iyad Allawi gave the go-ahead for the 
attack, according to his office and the U.S. military. 

In previous strikes, the United States said it was targeting 
safehouses used by the network of Abu Musab al-Zarqawi, the Jordanian 
militant blamed for masterminding car bombings and other attacks in 
Iraq (news - web sites). 

The latest attack targeted foreign militants' "fighting positions and 
trench lines near the remains of a house," according to a statement 
by U.S. Brig. Gen. Erv Lessel. About 25 fighters were there just 
before the attack, he said, citing Iraqi and coalition intelligence 
sources. 

Local residents said the attack destroyed a house filled with 
civilians. 

Allawi has promised strong cooperation with the Americans in rooting 
out terrorism and said after a July 5 airstrike in Fallujah that his 
government had provided the intelligence for the strike. Allawi 
consulted with U.S. forces Saturday about the strike, his office 
said. 

"The multinational force asked Prime Minister Allawi for permission 
to launch strikes on some specific places where some terrorists were 
hiding," an official in Allawi's office said on condition of 
anonymity. "Allawi gave his permission," 

Explosions from the strike about 2 a.m.rocked the city. Scores of 
people ran to the scene and dug through the wreckage looking for 
survivors. One witness, who declined to give his name, said the house 
belonged to a "very poor family." Angry crowds gathered around the 
house, chanting "God is great." 

"We heard the sound of jetfighters and then we heard four explosions 
in the house occupied by civilian residents," Lt. Saad Khalaf of the 
Fallujah Brigade, the local defense force. 

Body parts were scattered around the scene; some remains were stacked 
and covered by a gray blanket. 

The attack killed 14 people and injured three, according to Saad al-
Amili, a Health Ministry official. 

U.S. Marines besieged Fallujah, a hotbed of resistance, for several 
weeks last spring and then handed over security to the new Fallujah 
Brigade, made up of local residents and commanded by officers from 
Saddam Hussein (news - web sites)'s former army. Many of those who 
fought the Marines joined the brigade. 

Over the past 15 months, militants have used car bombs, sabotage, 
kidnappings and other attacks to try to destabilize the country. 

In response to demands made by militants holding a Filipino truck 
driver, Philippine leaders said Sunday they would finish withdrawing 
troops from Iraq this week. 

The pullout, engineered to save the life of Angelo dela Cruz, was 
scheduled to end as early as Monday, when the 22 remaining members of 
the humanitarian contingent were to make an "exit call" on the new 
Polish commander at their base south of Baghdad, Philippine Foreign 
Minister Delia Albert said. 

"After the call, the remaining contingent will then proceed to 
Kuwait, and from there, return to Manila by commercial flight," 
Albert said. 

The United States and Australia have sharply criticized the 
withdrawal, arguing that caving in to terrorists will only encourage 
more kidnappings and endanger other members of the U.S.-led coalition 
in Iraq. Insurgents have taken dozens of hostages in hopes of 
accomplishing their goals. 

In their continuing effort to quash the insurgency, U.S. forces said 
Sunday they had detained a senior commander of Saddam's elite 
Republican Guard, who was suspected of planning and financing attacks 
against Iraqis, Iraqi security forces and coalition troops. 

Iraqi national guardsmen and coalition forces captured Sufyan Maher 
Hassan in a raid in Tikrit on Friday. He was being held at a local 
multinational force detention facility, said Maj. Neal O'Brien of the 
1st Infantry Division. 

Hassan was the Republican Guard commander responsible for units 
defending Baghdad during the war. A relative of former leader Saddam 
Hussein, Hassan was blamed for the quick fall of Baghdad. 

In recent weeks, insurgents also have stepped up attacks on local 
officials and police, whom they view as collaborators with the U.S.-
led coalition forces. 

Two car bombs targeting police exploded in the city of Tikrit on 
Sunday morning, killing two police officers and wounding five others, 
Iraqi authorities said. 

Tikrit was Saddam's hometown and remains a hotbed of the violent 
resistance against U.S. forces. 

One car bomb exploded near Tikrit's Albu-Ajil police station, killing 
two police and wounding two others, according to Iraqi police Lt. 
Nabil Abdel-Hamid. 

Another car bomb exploded near a police training center, wounding 
three officers, according to Iraqi police Capt. Louai Qahtan. 

The violence Sunday came a day after a suicide car bomber targeted 
Justice Minister Malik Dohan al-Hassan's convoy, killing five 
bodyguards but leaving him unharmed. 

In a second suicide bombing Saturday, attackers hit the Iraqi 
National Guard headquarters in Mahmudiyah, 20 miles south of Baghdad, 
killing two people and wounding 47, hospital officials said. 

Al-Zarqawi claimed responsibility for both attacks, the latest in a 
series targeting high-level government officials. The bombings also 
seemed a deliberate effort by insurgents to mark the anniversary of 
the coup that brought Saddam's political party to power in 1968. 

"There are people who want to stop the progress of democracy in this 
country," said U.S. Army Col. Michael Formica, commander of the 1st 
Cavalry Division's 2nd Brigade, who spoke to reporters at the scene 
of the attack on al-Hassan. 

A wave of attacks hit Iraqi forces Saturday, including one that 
killed a police chief south of Baghdad and injured at least eight 
other police officers. 

In other violence, a roadside bomb exploded Saturday as a U.S. convoy 
passed in Beiji, about 90 miles south of the northern city of Mosul, 
killing one U.S. soldier and wounding another, the U.S. military said 
in a statement. 



------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor --------------------~--> 
Yahoo! Domains - Claim yours for only $14.70
http://us.click.yahoo.com/Z1wmxD/DREIAA/yQLSAA/BRUplB/TM
--------------------------------------------------------------------~-> 

***************************************************************************
Berdikusi dg Santun & Elegan, dg Semangat Persahabatan. Menuju Indonesia yg Lebih 
Baik, in Commonality & Shared Destiny. www.arsip.da.ru
***************************************************************************
__________________________________________________________________________
Mohon Perhatian:

1. Harap tdk. memposting/reply yg menyinggung SARA (kecuali sbg otokritik)
2. Pesan yg akan direply harap dihapus, kecuali yg akan dikomentari.
3. Lihat arsip sebelumnya, www.ppi-india.da.ru; 
4. Posting: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
5. Satu email perhari: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
6. No-email/web only: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
7. kembali menerima email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
 
Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ppiindia/

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
    [EMAIL PROTECTED]

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
 

Kirim email ke