9 Killed in Truck Bomb Blast in Baghdad 

BAGHDAD, Iraq - A suicide bomber in a fuel truck blew it up early 
Monday at a police station in southwest Baghdad, killing nine people 
and wounding about 60 as the inferno engulfed civilians and officers 
waiting for their daily assignments, officials and witnesses said. 

Later, the Defense Ministry said militants killed Essam al-Dijaili, 
the head of the military's supply department, in a drive-by shooting 
as he walked into his house in Baghdad. 

Four gunmen drove up as al-Dijaili was carrying dinner into his home 
Sunday night and opened fire, killing him and his bodyguard, said 
Mishal al-Sarraf, an adviser to the defense minister. 

"He was killed in cold blood by the evil hands of the followers of 
the former regime," al-Sarraf said. 

The assassination was the latest attack on senior Iraqi officials. 
Assailants killed the governor of Nineveh Province last week and 
tried unsuccessfully to assassinate the country's justice minister. 
They have also targeted police officers, accusing them of being 
collaborators with U.S. forces. 

Reversing a decision by the former U.S.-led occupation authority, 
Prime Minister Iyad Allawi issued a decree reopening a controversial 
newspaper that had been closed by U.S. officials in March, sparking 
months of fighting between U.S. forces and fighters loyal to radical 
Shiite cleric Muqtada al-Sadr. 

The weekly Al-Hawza was the mouthpiece of al-Sadr's "Sadrist" 
movement, routinely carrying his fiery sermons on its front page 
along with articles sharply critical of the U.S.-led occupation. 

Allawi, himself a Shiite, ordered the paper reopened Sunday in an 
effort to show his "absolute belief in the freedom of the press," his 
office said in a statement. The decree appeared designed to broaden 
Allawi's base of support as his government struggles for legitimacy. 

Meanwhile, three vehicles filled with waving Filipino troops drove 
out of Iraq (news - web sites) to Kuwait, the last members of 
Manila's peacekeeping contingent that is withdrawing to meet a demand 
by Iraqi insurgents threatening to behead a hostage from the 
Philippines. Washington opposed the pullout. 

The morning blast outside the police station in the Seidiyeh 
neighborhood, the latest in a string of deadly attacks on police, 
came as officers gathered to receive their daily assignments. 
Insurgents throughout Iraq have used car bombs roadside bombs and 
other weapons to target police, whom they view as collaborators with 
U.S. forces. 

The explosion leveled car repair garages and other industrial 
workshops. Cars were crushed under concrete, while others turned into 
flaming wrecks. Corrugated metal roofs were twisted and chunks of 
buildings were scattered hundreds of yards away. 

"We were all standing in a row, listening to our officer as he gave 
us our assignment for the day," said Mehdi Salah Abed Ali, 32, lying 
in a bed at al-Yarmuk hospital, a bandage around his leg. 


"There were many policemen standing in the square when the tanker 
exploded," he said. The explosion took place just after 8 a.m. 

The fuel tanker attack Monday killed nine people and wounded at least 
60, said Saad al-Amili, a Health Ministry official. 

The presence of the white tanker truck in the industrial area did not 
raise concerns until it started speeding toward the police station, 
said Ahmed Nouri, a worker at a nearby car wash. 

"I was standing with a friend when we saw the tanker speeding in an 
unnatural way," Nouri said, describing the driver as a young man with 
a light beard. 

The tanker exploded about 490 feet from the fenced-in, two-story 
police station. 

After the attack, protesters gathered and chanted, "Long live 
Saddam!" before police came in and dispersed them by firing in the 
air. 

In another attack on law officers, the body of Lt. Col. Nafi al-
Kubaisi, the police chief of the town of Heet, was discovered Monday 
at a market in nearby Fallujah, officials said. Al-Kubaisi had been 
kidnapped Saturday from his police station, said Capt. Nasir 
Abdullah. 

The six cars of Filipino soldiers left their camp in Hillah, south of 
Baghdad, after paying an "exit call" on the Polish commander at the 
base. 

The troops were the last of a 51-member Philippine contingent that 
was pulled out of the country to meet the demands of kidnappers 
holding a Filipino truck driver hostage. 

Foreign Secretary Delia Albert said they would travel by road to 
Kuwait then take a commercial flight home. 

"Before the end of this day, all members of the Philippine 
humanitarian contingent will be out of Iraq," she said in a 
nationally televised statement. 

Some allies have sharply criticized the move, saying it would only 
encourage more kidnappings. 

In the past 15 months, militants have used kidnappings, car bombs, 
sabotage and other attacks to try to destabilize the country and push 
out coalition troops. 

In other violence, a bomb exploded near a military base in Baqouba, 
north of the capital, injuring two young shepherds, said Ali Hameid 
al-Jobori, an official at Baqouba's main hospital. 

Militants also fired a rocket-propelled grenade at a fire station in 
the Baghdad neighborhood of al-Salihiya, injuring one person, the 
U.S. military said. 

Also Monday, Turkmenistan broadcaster Leith Hussein Ali was killed 
and two others were injured when their car came under fire in the 
northern city of Mosul, police said. 

The violence came a day after a U.S. airstrike authorized by Allawi 
hit purported trenches and fighting positions in Fallujah used by al-
Qaida linked foreign fighters, killing 14 people, Iraqi officials 
said. 

Word that Allawi approved the Sunday morning attack was a clear 
attempt to show the Iraqi government has taken full sovereignty from 
the Americans and has firm control, despite its deep reliance on the 
160,000 foreign troops, mainly from United States. 

"We worked with the government, the government was fully informed 
about these matters, agreed with us on the need to take the action, 
we conducted the action," U.S. Deputy Secretary of State Richard 
Armitage said at a news conference here. "We didn't just strike off 
on our own, a sovereign nation had to agree." 

Since the U.S. Marines pulled back from Fallujah � a focal point of 
resistance to the U.S. occupation � after besieging the city for 
three weeks in April, the U.S. military has been limited to using 
missiles attacks and airstrikes to hit potential targets there. 

The nature of Sunday's target, like those hit in previous attacks, 
was in dispute. 

The U.S. military said it had destroyed trench lines and fighting 
positions used by fighters loyal to Abu Musab al-Zarqawi, the al-
Qaida linked Jordanian militant blamed for masterminding car bombings 
and other attacks in Iraq. The military said 25 al-Zarqawi fighters 
had been at the site just moments before. 

Fallujah Mayor Mahmoud Ibrahim al-Jirisi said the attack hit a site 
for civilians supporting the Fallujah Brigade, a militia of local 
residents that took responsibility for security in the city when the 
Marines left. 

"There are no Arabs or foreigners with them," he told the pan-Arab 
television station Al-Jazeera. 

The attack, the sixth U.S. strike on the city in roughly a month, 
killed 14 people and injured three, according to al-Amili. 

After a July 5 airstrike, Allawi, who has promised strong security 
cooperation with the Americans, issued an unprecedented statement 
saying his government had provided intelligence for the strike. 

After this attack, he went far further, saying he had authorized the 
strike



------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor --------------------~--> 
Make a clean sweep of pop-up ads. Yahoo! Companion Toolbar.
Now with Pop-Up Blocker. Get it for free!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/L5YrjA/eSIIAA/yQLSAA/BRUplB/TM
--------------------------------------------------------------------~-> 

***************************************************************************
Berdikusi dg Santun & Elegan, dg Semangat Persahabatan. Menuju Indonesia yg Lebih 
Baik, in Commonality & Shared Destiny. www.arsip.da.ru
***************************************************************************
__________________________________________________________________________
Mohon Perhatian:

1. Harap tdk. memposting/reply yg menyinggung SARA (kecuali sbg otokritik)
2. Pesan yg akan direply harap dihapus, kecuali yg akan dikomentari.
3. Lihat arsip sebelumnya, www.ppi-india.da.ru; 
4. Posting: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
5. Satu email perhari: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
6. No-email/web only: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
7. kembali menerima email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
 
Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ppiindia/

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
    [EMAIL PROTECTED]

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
 

Kirim email ke