Agaknya Lleyton Hewitt tidak mengecewakan publik
Australia.  Pada tanggal 26 Januari 2005 ini yang
adalah Australia Day, dia jungkir balik sampai 5 sets
selama 4 jam lebih melawan David Nalbandian.  Di set
akhir, dia menang 10-8.

Salam,
RM

-----------------------------

 (australianopen.com)
Hewitt Wins in Five, Roddick Two-and-a-Half
by Damian Glass
Wednesday, 26 January, 2005

Lleyton Hewitt has had to survive a comeback from
Argentine David Nalbandian to win a classic five-set
quarter-final at the Centenary Australian Open,
setting up a semi-final clash with No.2 seed Andy
Roddick.

In a remarkable match which lasted for just over four
hours, Hewitt defeated Nalbandian 6-3 6-2 1-6 3-6
10-8, with the Australian struggling in the third and
fourth sets, seemingly restricted by his troublesome
hip flexor injury.

But, in his trademark style, Hewitt rallied in the
deciding set as the two combatants played out a
memorable contest.

The marathon final set lasted for more than 100
minutes and featured only one break of serve - which
came in the 17th game and ultimately proved decisive
for the Australian.

On Nalbandian's serve, Hewitt had a break-point and
attacked a short ball, meeting it on the full in
mid-court and driving a backhand down the line to
secure the crucial break of serve in the fifth set to
lead 9-8.

For the first time Hewitt had a chance to serve for
the match and, in contrast to most of Hewitt's other
service games in the set, the Australian raced to a
40-0 lead. The Australian's serve had been under more
pressure than the Argentine's but with a sniff of
victory, needed only one match point to win a
see-sawing contest.

The match had looked set for an early finish as Hewitt
grabbed a two-sets-to-love lead but just as a
fireworks display as part of the Australia Day
celebrations went off outside Rod Laver Arena during
the start of third set, Hewitt appeared to lose his
concentration.

Nalbandian seized his chance to get back in the match,
breezing through the third and fourth sets 6-1 6-3 to
take the momentum into the deciding set.

With the advantage of serving first, the Argentine had
the upper hand and Hewitt was forced to defend grimly
knowing that losing his serve could mean losing the
match.

However, at no stage in the final set did Hewitt face
a break point on his serve, meaning he never had to
defend a match point.

Earlier on Rod Laver Arena, Roddick progressed to the
semi-finals after his opponent - Russian No.26 seed
Nikolay Davydenko - was forced to retire due to the
extreme heat, with the American on track to record a
straight-sets win, leading 6-3 7-5 4-1.

Davydenko had made it through to the last eight
without conceding a set. Along the way he had claimed
the scalps of two seeded players - including No.7 seed
Tim Henman - but in three previous attempts against
Roddick, the Russian had yet to register a win.

But it was clear on Rod Laver Arena that Davydenko was
going to have to negotiate a lot more than Roddick's
200km/h serve. The oppressive conditions were shaping
as the biggest threat to Davydenko's progress in the
tournament

After his fourth-round defeat of Argentine Guillermo
Canas in straight sets, Davydenko gave a hint of the
difficulties he may face having to play Roddick in the
stifling heat.

Davydenko revealed that he would have struggled to
continue against Canas had the match been forced into
a fourth or fifth set.

With the temperature on Rod Laver Arena hovering in
the high 30's when the match started at 4pm, Davydenko
began confidently against Roddick. He matched the
world No.2 until the eighth game of the first set when
the American broke serve to take a 5-3 lead.

Roddick took the set 6-3 and, after breaking
Davydenko's serve to take a 3-2 lead in the second
set, the first signs of Davydenko's trouble with the
stifling conditions began to show.

"(At first) I took a break for one or two minutes and
the next two or three points were OK. I can play. I
can control everything. But then I felt something is
coming, coming so bad and then everything felt not so
good," Davydenko said.

"I didn't play with Roddick, I play by myself, I
played with the weather."

Davydenko called for a doctor for the first time at
the change of ends and after a short delay in which he
complained of shortness of breath and used a Ventolin
spray, the Russian returned to court.

After that, as the players rested at every change of
ends, Davydenko wore an ice vest to cool his body
temperature down and initially it seemed to have the
desired effect.

Davydenko broke back and leading 5-4 in the second set
he had a set point on Roddick's serve. But Roddick
held on and immediately broke Davydenko to secure a
6-5 lead. The American then served the set out to take
it 7-5.

Down two-sets-to-love and with the conditions not
improving, Davydenko's serve was broken twice in the
third set. At 1-4 the Russian decided enough was
enough and voluntarily ended his stay in the
Australian Open 2005.

"The doctor told me it was the heat," Davydenko said.
"Instead of concentrating on the match I was
concentrating on my body, how I was feeling, what I
was doing and what I needed to do later."

"If the degrees were not like today, like maybe 30 it
is better for me because today it was too hot."

Give the gift of life to a sick child.
http://us.click.yahoo.com/lGEjbB/6WnJAA/E2hLAA/BRUplB/TM

Lebih Baik, in Commonality & Shared Destiny. www.ppi-india.uni.cc

3. Lihat arsip sebelumnya, www.ppi-india.da.ru;