Tadi pagi dalam warta berita televisi BBC ada
peringatan serius dari Ronald Noble, kepala Interpol,
yang memperingatkan kepada dunia, terutama Amerika dan
Eropa, bahwa Al-Qaida mungkin menunggu kesempatan
untuk melancarkan serangan ke negara-negara Barat
dengan senjata biologis.  Dikatakannya, bahwa
negara-negara itu tidak memasukkan kemungkinan
serangan bio-terror dalam prioritasnya.  Padahal
tanda-tanda beralihnya senjata biologis itu ketangan
entitas non-negara sudah ada.  Bayangkan kalau tabung
berisi virus Ebola atau anthrax misalnya, pecah di
Boston atau Manchester, sementara disana tidak ada
mekanisme untuk mengatasinya, ratusan ribu sampai
jutaan orang akan mati dan dunia akan panik !!

Salam,
RM

-----------------

Interpol sounds bio-terror alarm

The world is ill prepared for the looming threat of a
biological terror attack, the head of Interpol has
said.

Ronald Noble told the BBC the danger of an al-Qaeda
attack had not diminished since the 9/11 strikes on
the US.

The head of the global police body also denied
governments had played up the risks for political
gain.

"I don't think it is the sounding of false alarms," Mr
Noble said, citing recent evidence. "I think the alarm
is real and it is continuing to ring."

'Millions at risk'

Recent attacks around the world; indications that
al-Qaeda plans to use biological and chemical weapons;
and its statements claiming "the right to kill up to 4
million people" are "enough evidence for me to be
concerned", Mr Noble said.

In an exclusive interview with the BBC's Ten O'Clock
News, he warned that the potential cost of a
biological terror attack left no room for complacency.

"When you talk about bio-terrorism, that's one crime
we can't try to solve after it happens because the
harm will be too great."

"How could we ever forgive ourselves if millions or
hundreds... or tens of thousands of people were killed
simply because our priorities did not include
bio-terrorism?"

Intelligence sharing

Around 400 police officers and health officials from
around the world are going to the French city of Lyons
next month to attend a bio-terrorism conference - the
biggest ever organised by Interpol.

Mr Noble acknowledged that governments and security
agencies were better organised against the threat than
ever before - but "none of us can let our guards down
and assume that the problem has been addressed".

Were al-Qaeda to launch a "spectacular biological
attack which could cause contagious disease to be
spread, no entity in the world is prepared for it", he
said. "Not the US, not Europe, not Asia, not Africa."

Interpol's bio-terrorism conference, due to start on 1
March, will seek to encourage intelligence agencies
and police forces to share information and co-operate
more closely against the biological terrorism threat.

Story from BBC NEWS:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/pr/fr/-/1/hi/world/europe/4289485.stm

Published: 2005/02/23 01:44:34 GMT

© BBC MMV