Singaporeans look down on Indonesia

I am an Indonesian who is studying in Singapore. I am writing this
letter to encourage all Indonesians to be more hard-working and be
more mindful of the future. We have to compete with other countries in
the world and show them that we can compete with them when it comes to
quality human resources.

We have nearly 240 million people, so we have a big pool of potential
talent. The reason why I am writing this letter is because I get
reminded all time by my humanities teacher here, who frequently points
out all the bad things about Indonesia, and also about Indonesians,
but unfortunately her points are quite true.

There was one day she said that most the Multi-National Companies
(MNCs) are interested in building their headquarters in Singapore,
because Singapore has a lot more skilled workers. And she also
mentioned that most MNCs are wary of setting up in developing
countries like Indonesia, Malaysia and other countries.

Then she continued, for example, in Indonesia, although Indonesia has
a lot of people to employ in the manufacturing sector, the workers are
not skilled, they do not have the ability to carry out tasks that
require some knowledge of Information Technology (IT) or most any
other work that requires intelligent analysis. She has actually spoken
poorly of Indonesia on numerous occasions.

I know that Indonesia's economy is not in a good situation, but at
least we can improve our education. One way to solve the education
problem is that we have to promote compulsory learning in school
instead of working at the early age. Do not encourage working overseas
as a maid. We should encourage them to continue their studies, at
least until senior high school, and then, they can get better jobs in
the future.

Actually, when my teacher looks down on Indonesia, I always feel so
angry toward her. It is humiliating for me as she mentions these
things to all the other students, most of whom are Singaporeans, and I
am the only Indonesian in the class.

There are still so many other ways that Singaporeans look down on
Indonesia. I hope we can improve in our education by promoting more
and more scholarships to study overseas. Besides improving our
education level, it can also improve our economy eventually.

I hope the government will consider all of my suggestions and I am
confident that we can do it for our country.

FENTY ANG Singapore

http://www.thejakartapost.com/detaileditorial.asp?fileid=20050423.F06&irec=5

http://us.click.yahoo.com/MCfFmA/SOnJAA/E2hLAA/BRUplB/TM

Lebih Baik, in Commonality & Shared Destiny. www.ppi-india.org