Dirintis oleh Luhut Panjaitan kemudian dilanjutkan
Rini Suwandi akhirnya dituntaskan oleh Andung
Nitimihardja, kita sekarang punya blue print industri
untuk 10 dan 20 tahun kedepan.  Meskipun belum sempat
membaca dokumen itu (mungkin ada di website Departemen
Perindustrian), orang kecil ini lega.  Penting, karena
orang punya acuan mana yang core dan supporting
industry, dan mana yang industri masa depan.  Penting,
karena daerah akan punya acuan pada zoning kalau mau
mengembangkan industri ditempatnya.

Membaca dokumen ini, orang Departemen Pendidikan
Nasional (dan Tenaga Kerja) akan menyadari besarnya
kepincangan disisi penyediaan tenaga kerja.  Mereka
akan tergerak untuk memperkuat pendidikan tersier
bidang teknik dan teknologi baik tingkatan S-1 maupun
D-1, D-2 dan D-3 -- ingat kita perlu teknisi lebih
banyak daripada insinyur.  Dan lebih banyak lagi kita
perlu tukang ahli -- tukang kayu, tukang batu, juru
las, juru bubut, dan banyak lagi termasuk juru selam
(divers -- yang ini dibayar puluhan dollar per jam,
RDP tahu itu).  Kebutuhan kita yang jauh lebih besar
adalah memperkuat STM kalau isinya sudah diperbaiki
otomatis tidak jadi sekolah tawuran saja.

Salam,
RM

 Print July 05, 2005

Indonesia finally has industrial policy
Zakki P. Hakim, The Jakarta Post, Jakarta

After more than a decade without clear direction,
Indonesia's manufacturing sector finally has a
comprehensive detailed plan to develop the country's
manufacturing industries for the next 20 years.

The Ministry of Industry revealed its National
Manufacturing Sector Development Policy, which
prioritizes 32 sectors of some 365 existing industries
in the country.

The 32 sectors -- chosen through a thorough
quantitative measurement of its international and
domestic competitiveness -- have been contributing 78
percent of the national output and 83 percent of the
country's total non-oil and gas exports.

The Ministry's secretary general Agus Tjahajana
explained that the priority sectors were grouped in
two main categories: the basic (core and supporting)
and future industries.

The core and supporting sectors are existing
industries, which survived the monetary crisis in
1997. Agus said the government would continue to
support the core sectors to return to their precrisis
level of competitiveness in the next five years and
further strengthen them to be world class industries
in the long term.

"Should any of them fail due to natural competition
over time, we have no choice but to shift to others.
Nevertheless, we are determined to do our best to
assist all of them (basic sectors)," Agus said on
Friday during a workshop on Industrial Policy for
Journalists.

The basic manufacturing is expected to support the
development of future industries and all the
agro-based industries upgraded from the basic
manufacturing sector.

The National Policy document includes a detailed
target of what products each sector should be able to
produce in 10 years from now and a matrix of who would
be responsible for each activity, as well as
industrial zoning maps.

Agus elaborated that 20 industries would be developed
using a cluster approach, while the remaining 12 would
have non-cluster or development according to
individual characteristics.

The industrial cluster approach would enable the
government to develop a certain manufacturing sector
from downstream to upstream, through facilitating
networking and synergy between core, related and
supporting industries of all sizes, and then future
sectors.

"It is like a conglomerate, but it involves numerous
different firms -- small, medium and large -- instead
of, for example, all under one holding company," Agus
said.

The ministry chose to adopt the industrial cluster
approach, which tends to push the priority sectors
evenly, mainly because it was the best option for the
government's limited budget.

"If we have the money, we might consider selecting a
limited number of leading sectors and use the budget
to push them in order to pull all other industries,"
he said.

However, Agus stressed that looking at other
countries' experiences -- such as England, France, the
U.S., Thailand and Malaysia -- it would take years or
even decades to develop a single fully-integrated
cluster.

"Now we have somewhere to start. If this could not
serve as a road map or blueprint, I don't know what
could."

He said further that the 32 priority sectors would
enjoy preferential treatment from the government,
including fiscal, monetary and administrative
incentives.

The government would expand the market of products
from the 32 industries, prioritize foreign direct
investment for them, push capacity building of their
human resources, direct and organize university
research for their benefit, and build the
infrastructure for the sectors.

"To put it simply, if we have to choose where to
disburse our limited budget or facilities, we would
prioritize those 32," he said.

The ministry acknowledged that the success of the
detailed policy depended greatly on commitment,
coordination and consistency from all stakeholders in
the government, private sector and academic world.

To ensure strong legal support, the ministry is now
pursuing the enactment of the policy as a presidential
regulation. But until then, it was upbeat that other
ministries would stay committed, as the policy was a
result of a rigorous inter-departmental and assorted
stakeholder consultations.

"We expect this to become the Ministry of Finance's or
Ministry of Trade's or other ministries' policy on the
industrial sector," Agus said.

The policy formulation was first initiated in 2000
under Minister of Industry and Trade Luhut Panjaitan,
but somehow stopped until the next Minister Rini MS
Soewandhi restarted it in early 2004. Eventually, the
industry ministry under the leadership of Andung A.
Nitimihardja managed to conclude the much-anticipated
policy.

Agus said the time was right to launch the policy, as
local industries had just started to rebound after the
monetary crisis, while the stabilizing of the
macroeconomic climate, globalization and trade
liberalization commitments had started to show a
concrete impact on the manufacturing sector.

The national policy document should be able to answer
the questions and doubts of observers and industry
players in relation to the Mid-term Development Plan
(RPJM) 2004-2009 launched earlier this year by the
National Development Planning Agency (Bappenas), in
which the government announced it would prioritize
only 10 industrial clusters.

The RPJM put the clusters under Chapter 18 titled
Improving the competitiveness of the manufacturing
sector, thus it only explained the government's
concern over the sector's ailing competitiveness, but
did not outline a plan and steps to develop the
country's industries, Agus explained.

In the next five years, the national policy is
expected to help the industrial sector to grow by 8.6
percent per annum to support the national economy to
expand by 6.6 percent annually.

Lebih Baik, in Commonality & Shared Destiny. www.ppi-india.org

3. Lihat arsip sebelumnya, www.ppi-india.da.ru;