Apakah setelah 2 tahun tinggal di Amerika, Armando
Siahaan tega mencemong orang Indonesia ?  Saya rasa
tidak, karena kesannya bahwa banyak orang berduit di
Jakarta tidak kenal etiket juga diakui banyak orang
termasuk yours truly.  Tapi perbaikan juga saya lihat
terjadi seiring dengan perjalanan waktu.  Dulu sering
ada orang nrombol antrean makan dipesta, sekarang
jarang.  Dulu boleh dikata tidak ada pengendara yang
memberi jalan pada pengendara lain padahal lalu lintas
didepan macet total, sekarang sudah ada yang tahu
etiket dan kepada mereka saya lambaikan tangan tanda
terima kasih.  Dulu dijalan toll banyak pengendara
berdasi menggunakan bahu jalan untuk menyalib, itu
sudah amat jarang sekarang.  Mengapa hanya disoroti
orang berdasi? karena mereka adalah middle class yang
seharusnya membawa perubahan kearah positif.

Salam,
RM

  Print July 11, 2005
(The Jakarta Post)

This society's etiquette criminals are legion

After spending two years in the United States, I have
come to realize that Jakarta suffers from an
intriguing societal depravity, one that pertains to
basic etiquette.

About two days after I arrived back in Jakarta for a
summer break, I went to Plaza Senayan to hang out with
my long-time-no-see friends. As I knew it would be
crowded in the front of the mall, I parked my car near
the elevator at the rear side of the mall.

So I took the elevator to the fourth floor. When the
elevator opened, before I even had a chance to move my
feet, this group of five people stampeded into me,
acting as if they were Darth Vader with his shock
troops. They completely ignored the existence of a
person who was actually trying to get out.

Being a mellow guy, I decided to stay calm and pushed
my way out of the elevator with a smile. That was the
first incident that made me start thinking about this
whole issue of manners.

I had promised to meet my friends at the food court,
and there is no other way to get there but through the
cinema lobby. As I walked out of the cinema lobby, I
had to pass through the entrance door of the mall.

Accustomed to what I thought was internationally
understood etiquette when opening doors, I was
expecting the person walking in front of me to hold
the door so it does not swing back and hit the person
behind. Suddenly, this person dressed in "hip-hop"
clothing passed me in a hurry.

Not only did he refuse to look back or hold the door,
he actually slammed the door while I was walking
through. Luckily, the door did not slam into my face.
My hands were fast enough to mitigate the imbecile's
act.

I convinced myself that he was just another restless
student in a big rush to get somewhere.

On my way to the food court, an older Army-type guy,
probably in his 50s, was walking as slow as a turtle
in front of me. Being a bit impatient, I took the
polite way and said 'excuse me', hoping that he would
move a bit to the left so that I could pass by.

I reiterated 'excuse me' three times, but he ignored
me. I decided to pass him as best I could, but my
shoulder accidentally touched his shoulder. I said:
"Sorry", but he reacted in an overly harsh manner and
yelled: "Watch where you're going, stupid!"

Not only did he ignore my polite request to pass, he
reacted as if I had just started World War III.

Appalled by such an irrational reaction, I apologized
and went straight to my friends' table. After a bit of
chit-chat, I decided to go to KFC, my favorite place
to eat.

As it was around lunch time, the line was pretty long.
But I took my place in line and waited patiently. When
there were only three customers in front of me, two
domestic helpers, or pembantu, cut in front of me and
said nothing.

That was it. I wished I could have immediately changed
into Batman. After identifying all the enemies, these
etiquette criminals, I would use all my gadgets to
arrest them and detain them in the Bat Cave.

Unfortunately, turning into Batman was not a realistic
option. In fact, I am probably seen as the bad guy
here because the majority of the people in our society
are diseased with the same epidemic, 'mannerphobia'.

These incidents show how our society is having a
problem with proper manners. It seems like proper
behavior is not even a part of our culture. It seems
like having good manners is not necessary in our
society.

What is interesting is that a lot of Indonesians
accuse foreigners of being arrogant and lacking
manners. Foreigners usually come from nations that
greatly embrace freedom and liberty, Americans in
particular.

Indonesians, who embrace traditional values and
religiosity, tend to associate freedom and liberty
with etiquette depravity. Conversely, Indonesia is
known to be a society with proper manners, a
perception that a plethora of foreigners would concur
with.

Ironically, during my two years in America, I have
realized that it is us Indonesians who need to improve
our manners.

Initially while in the U.S., I was not aware, but
gradually I became etiquette observant. Much of my
observations occurred in classes, public places, bus
rides and other places.

In America, people say "excuse me" and "thank you"
regularly as words to open or close a conversation.
People inside the elevator go out first and those
waiting to come in wait before all the people exiting
have come out. People respect others when waiting in
lines. They even say "Bless you!" if someone sneezes
around them, whether they know them or not.

Eventually, I came to the conclusion that Indonesians
are still behind the people of the U.S. in terms of
manners.

I am not idolizing American society, nor am I
underestimating Indonesian society. The point is that
if each of us tried to improve our behavior toward
others, our society would be much more comfortable to
live in.

-- Armando Siahaan

Lebih Baik, in Commonality & Shared Destiny. http://www.ppi-india.org

3. Lihat arsip sebelumnya, http://dear.to/ppi