Ancient relic to return from Scotland 

The Jakarta Post, Jakarta

A thousand-year-old stone tablet known as the Sanggurah Stone, or more commonly 
the "Minto" stone, is expected to be returned to its home in Indonesia from 
Scotland before the end of 2008. 

The return will be made possible thanks to Hashim Djojohadikusumo, who is 
currently working with high-profile artifact theft from Surakarta museum. 

The historical artifact originated from Malang, East Java, weighs around three 
tons and is two meters tall. It is held in Roxburghshire, Scotland. 

It has been part of a family collection belonging to the former British 
Governor General of India, Lord Minto, after being presented to him by British 
Governor Sir Thomas Stamford Raffles in the early 19th century. 

The primeval stone tablet bears an ancient inscription dated 982 AD along with 
the name of a Javanese king, Sri Maharaja Rakai Pangkaja Dyah Wawa Sri 
Wijayalokanamottungga, who ruled over Malang at that time. 

"The Minto Stone is an important historical artifact and a crucial source of 
information. It contains the history of the Mataram kingdom in Central Java and 
its eventual shift of power to East Java," Culture and Tourism Ministry 
director general of history and archeology Hari Untoro Drajat announced at a 
media gathering Thursday. 

"Upon the artifact's return to Indonesia, facilitated by the Hashim 
Djojohadikusumo Foundation (YKHD), it will be placed in the National Museum in 
Jakarta," he said. 

"The government has been attempting to secure the return of the artifact since 
2004, but government-to-government negotiations have proven difficult because 
the relic is currently in the custodianship of Minto Trustees," Hari said. 

"So we requested that YKHD step in and facilitate the return, because we 
recognized that non-state parties would have more leeway in negotiating." 

Prominent businessman and arts collector Hashim Djojohadikusumo said YKHD, a 
charity organization dedicated to the preservation of Indonesia's cultural and 
archeological heritage, had been involved in negotiations to secure the return 
of the Minto Stone since early last year. 

"In April 2007, we accepted a mission from the state conveyed to us by the 
Director General and Dr. Soeroso, and have since met thrice with Lord Minto 
himself in London to negotiate the return of the artifact," he said. 

London-based Hashim, son of the late prominent New Order economist Soemitro 
Djojohadikusumo, was recently linked to a high-profile theft and forgery case 
involving a number of collections from a Surakarta museum following the 
discovery of five of the stolen archaeological artifacts at his house in 
Jakarta. 

Hashim is said to have bought the precious ninth century statues, of the 
country's Hindu-Buddha era, abroad from Hugo Kreijger, a Dutch arts dealer and 
consultant for Christie's auction house in Amsterdam. (amr)



http://www.thejakartapost.com/detailheadlines.asp?fileid=20080125.A05&irec=4





mediacare
http://www.mediacare.biz


[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Kirim email ke