http://en.rian.ru/world/20090110/119410013.html

*Abbas calls for international presence in Gaza*


CAIRO, January 10 (RIA Novosti) - *The Palestinian National Authority
(PNA)*has called for sending international observers to Gaza and urged
the
leadership of the Palestinian enclave to accept Egypt's ceasefire
initiative.

"International presence is needed in the Gaza Strip," *President Mahmoud
Abbas *said during a news conference in Cairo, following talks with the
Egyptian president.

Abbas insisted on deploying international observers inside Gaza to protect
Palestinians and not on its border with Egypt as Israel wants this.

The Palestinian president also said the PNA does not object to international
presence in the West Bank.

He called on radical movement Hamas, which seized Gaza in the summer of
2007, to immediately accept the Egypt-sponsored plan, under which Israel is
to halt its military operation in Gaza and Palestinian militants are to stop
rocket barrages on Israeli territories. A pause in hostilities would allow
humanitarian aid into Gaza and prepare talks on a durable truce.

Abbas said contacts are continuing with Israel, which, however, is still to
agree to withdraw from Gaza.

According to Palestinian health authorities, the Israeli operation that
started on December 27 has so far killed over 800 people in Gaza, while
another 3,310 people were wounded.

Israel's casualties are estimated at 13 people, including 10 servicemen.


[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Kirim email ke