http://www.tehrantimes.com/index_View.asp?code=195820

June 1, 2009 

Hamas: Abbas gave Obama 'detailed plan' on how to overthrow us in Gaza





Hamas said on Saturday that Palestinian Authority President Muhammad Abbas, who 
visited Washington last week, presented U.S. president Barack Obama with a 
"detailed plan" to overthrow the Islamic movement's government in the Gaza 
Strip. 


Hamas also accused Abbas's security forces of arresting 22 of its supporters in 
the West Bank over the weekend as part of a U.S.-backed scheme designed to 
prevent the movement from extending its control beyond the Gaza Strip. 

The plan which Abbas presented to Obama calls for eliminating Hamas politically 
by pressuring the Europeans and Russia to boycott the movement, a Hamas 
official said, noting that Russian and European officials and diplomats had 
been holding meetings with Hamas representatives in the past few months. 

The official said that the plan also called for tightening the Israeli blockade 
on the Gaza Strip with the hope that such a move would prompt Palestinians 
there to revolt against the Hamas government. 

The collapse of the Hamas regime would be followed by the deployment of United 
Nations troops in the Gaza Strip, which would later be handed back to Abbas's 
security forces, the Hamas official added. 

He said that Abbas's ostensible plan also calls for waging a relentless war 
against Hamas's financial resources by closing down organizations that fund the 
movement and imprisoning individuals who carry out fund-raising on its behalf. 

A PA official in Ramallah denied the Hamas allegations, saying he did not know 
of any plan that was presented to Obama to topple the movement's regime. "These 
charges are in the context of Hamas's campaign of lies and fabrications," he 
said. 

The allegations came as Abbas briefed Egyptian President Hosni Mubarak in Cairo 
on the outcome of his talks with Obama. 

Speaking to reporters after the meeting, Abbas said that he expected 
"something" to happen with regards to the peace process by the beginning of 
July. 

He said that he sensed that Obama and his administration were very serious 
about achieving peace in the Middle East and halting settlement construction. 

Abbas reiterated his opposition to return to the negotiating table with Israel 
unless Prime Minister Binyamin Netanyahu accepted the two state solution and 
stopped construction in the settlements. 

"These are not preconditions," Abbas said. "These issues were mentioned in the 
Road Map and all we are demanding is the implementation of what has been agreed 
upon." 

He also expressed his opposition to making any changes in the Arab peace 
initiative of 2002, reiterating his refusal to relinquish the "right of return" 
for Palestinian refugees. (Source: jpost.com) 

CAPTION 

U.S. President Barack Obama (R) meets with Palestinian President Mahmud Abbas 
during meetings in the Oval Office of the White House in Washington, DC, May 
28,2009. 



[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Kirim email ke