'Jerusalem-Ankara ties will stay strong'

Oct. 16, 2009
JPost.com staff, AP and Herb Keinon , THE JERUSALEM POST 
Following the recent slump in Jerusalem-Ankara relations caused by last week's 
cancellation of a joint military drill and Tuesday's airing of an anti-Israeli 
drama on a government-controlled TV channel, Turkish Deputy Prime Minister 
Bulent Arinc downplayed the apparent tensions. 

"Relations between Israel and Turkey have always been strong, and we're 
entirely sure that they will remain strong," Arinc told local reporters on 
Friday." 

Referring to the TV drama Ayrilik - which variously depicted IDF soldiers 
shooting a fleeing Palestinian boy in the back, killing a sweetly smiling 
Palestinian girl at point-blank range and lining up Palestinian detainees 
before an IDF firing squad - Arinc that "there are no political motives to the 
television drama that annoyed Israel." 

Scene 1: 'IDF soldier' shoots a Palestinian child
 

Scene 2: 'IDF soldier' shoots a Palestinian girl
 

Arinc, who is responsible for monitoring the TRT1 state channel that aired the 
show, said that "if Israel reacted [angrily] to the drama, we'll discus it with 
them. It could be that it only partially portrays the reality and that it's a 
little over the top, but after all, it's just a television series." 

He emphasized that he didn't want the program to cause a "diplomatic problem." 

When asked whether the script would be changed or the series dropped, Arinc 
said, "The Turkish government doesn't intervene in a television drama. The 
[RTUK] radio and television council controls broadcasts." 

However, Turkish Foreign Minister Ahmet Davutoglu said that improving 
Jerusalem-Ankara ties depended on the humanitarian situation in Gaza and the 
resumption of Israeli-Palestinian peace talks. 

Davutoglu added that Turkey was not "based on censorship" and that the state 
had no right to comment on the quality or opinions expressed in broadcasts. 

"The Foreign Ministry is not an advisory body for TV series," he said a day 
after Israel rebuked Turkey's acting ambassador, warning the series could 
incite attacks against Jews visiting Turkey. 

"As far as I understand, the series is produced by a private company. TRT 
(Turkish Radio and Television Corp.) is an independent organization after all," 
Davutoglu was quoted by CNN as saying during a brief appearance before 
journalists at Ankara airport. 

"This is a matter to be evaluated entirely as part of their broadcast policies. 
Turkey does not have censorship," he added in statements broadcast by the 
private channel CNN Turk. "The Foreign Ministry is not a consulting institution 
for TV series." 

In an interview with CNN on Friday, the TV show's producer Selcuk Cobanoglu 
rejected Israeli criticism and instead called on Jerusalem to look at the 
bloody death toll of Operation Cast Lead. 

"They accuse us with provocation. There were 300 children among the civilians 
killed in January and February," Cobonaoglu told CNN. "Make a collection of the 
actual footage taken from the news bulletins especially from January and 
February, and those pictures would show worse than our series. Israel made the 
whole world watch these more violent images... we just made a snapshot of these 
images." 

This article can also be read at http://www.jpost.com 
/servlet/Satellite?cid=1255547734253&pagename=JPArticle%2FShowFull
[ Back to the Article ] 
Copyright 1995- 2009 The Jerusalem Post - http://www.jpost.com/

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Kirim email ke