Reflection : A new album?

http://thejakartaglobe.com/home/sbys-message-to-the-must-brigade-wait-and-see-what-i-have-achieved/355526

28, 2010
Camelia Pasandaran & Anita Rachman

SBY's Message to the 'Must' Brigade: Wait and See What I Have Achieved

As President Susilo Bambang Yudhoyono pledged to solve the nation's power
crisis in Banten on Thursday, thousands of demonstrators in Jakarta and around
the country decried what they said was his government's failure to improve the
people's welfare.

Protest organizers said they were happy with the turnout, even though it was
far short of what they had hoped for.

"We are satisfied as this is a process of revolution, even though it was not
organized very well. Some organizations came alone and did their rally without
us," said Haris Rusly, head of Petition of 28, an umbrella group of
nongovernmental organizations and individuals participating in the
demonstrations. "But we think it is successful enough and we see that we can
conduct a peaceful rally."

The protests were held to coincide with the end of the first 100 days of
Yudhoyono's second term. The protesters numbered about 7,000 in Jakarta and up
to 1,000 in other big cities.

Demonstrators raised a range of issues, chief among them corruption and the
Bank Century bailout. They also protested against the Asean-China Free Trade
Agreement and what they said was the government's failure to improve the
people's welfare.

Speaking from Labuan, Banten, where he inaugurated a 600-megawatt coal-fired
power plant, Yudhoyono said he recognized the people's right to criticize the
government.

"I know that in Jakarta there are protests, rallies and movements," he said.
"In a democracy, this is common."

But he argued that many of the protesters didn't really understand the
government's immediate aims.

"I want to ask whether they really know the 100-days programs," he said. "The
programs are like people's favorite music hits. From TV and print media to
coffee shops, [they] talked about the 100-days programs according to the
versions they favored."

He said many people insisted on the principle of "must." "The government 'must'
have failed, the president and vice president 'must' step down because after
100 days they failed to increase the people's welfare," he said. "Actually, the
100-days programs are not extraordinary. We only wanted the government to have
priorities for this year and for the next five years."

"We will soon explain what has and has not been achieved. People can check
whether it is true or not. Provisional reports show that most of the programs
have been achieved. We have 15 priorities, 45 programs and 129 action plans. If
we want to assess the achievements, we should see the goals first," he added.

Yudhoyono pointed to the formation of the Judicial Mafia Eradication Task
Force, reducing the time needed to issue business licenses, and infrastructure
developments such as the East Flood Canal as among the successes of the first
100 days.

Read more
No signs of 1998
Protests a day for some to make a buck
Snap, crackle, flop: Demonstrations underwhelm