http://www.dailychilli.com/news/3461-face-off-in-spain

Face off in Spain 

A team of surgeons has carried out the world's first full-face transplant on a 
young Spanish farmer unable to breathe or eat on his own since accidentally 
shooting himself in the face five years ago. 
It was the most extensive operation yet and the 11th known face transplant 
worldwide.
During the 24-hour surgery, doctors lifted an entire face, including jaw, nose, 
cheekbones, muscles, teeth and eyelids, and placed it masklike onto the man, 
Dr. Joan Pere Barret told The Associated Press on Friday.

Transplant experts hailed the surgery, carried out late last month at 
Barcelona's Vall d'Hebron Hospital, as a significant advance.

"It is a breakthrough. They are pushing the envelope and I am very happy for 
them," said Dr. Thomas Romo, chief of facial and reconstructive surgery at 
Lenox Hill Hospital in New York.

The Spanish patient, who was not identified, now has a completely new face from 
his hairline down and only one visible scar, which looks like a wrinkle running 
across his neck, said Barret, who headed the 30-member surgical team.

The man cannot yet speak, eat or smile, but he can see and swallow saliva, the 
surgeon said. He is expected to be able to eat and breathe on his own in about 
a week.
"If you look him in the face, you see a normal person," Barret said. "He sits 
up, he walks in his hospital room and he watches television."

Before the transplant, the 30-year-old patient had had nine surgeries and could 
only breathe with the help of a ventilator and get nourishment from a feeding 
tube. He also had problems speaking.

 
In this photo of a Magnetic Resonance Image, a man who underwent a full-face 
transplant is seen before the surgical procedure was performed, at the Vall 
d'Hebron Hospital in Barcelona, Spain, on Friday. The hospital carried out a 
full-face transplant in late March, giving a young man who lost his in an 
accident a new nose, skin, jaws, cheekbones, teeth and other features. 
The 2005 accident, in which he shot himself with a shotgun, essentially 
destroyed his face from the eye sockets down, although his eyes and eyesight 
were unaffected.

During the daylong operation, Barret said his team cut off the donor's face 
below the eye sockets and attached the bone structure along with muscles and 
nerves to the recipient "in one piece."

"Imagine a skull. It is as if with a saw, we cut everything just below the 
upper part of the eye sockets, as if we were sawing all that," he said. Then, 
"everything attached to the mask is placed on the recipient."

"It is a little bit like the movie with John Travolta and Nicolas Cage," the 
surgeon said, referring to the 1997 thriller "Face/Off", in which the face of 
the character played by Cage is grafted onto the Travolta character's skull in 
an identity switch.

Face transplants in the real world have gained acceptance since the first 
partial transplant almost five years ago in France. Patients don't look like 
the dead people whose skin and facial features they now live with. And 
skeptical bioethicists and doctors groups have warmed to the idea for patients 
who have tried reconstructive surgery with little success.

There have been 10 partial transplants worldwide, including in the United 
States, China and elsewhere in Spain, but this is the first full face 
transplant, Barret said.

The Spanish operation is similar to a near-total face transplant carried out by 
a team led by Dr. Maria Siemionow in 2008 in Cleveland, on a woman who was also 
shot in the face.

But the Spanish case "seems to us to be more complex," said Neil Huband, a 
spokesman for the UK Facial Transplantation Research Team, based at the Royal 
Free Hospital in London.
Barret would give no details about the donor except to say that doctors try to 
choose donors of similar weight, height, facial measurements and skin tone as 
the recipient.

As in earlier operations, the Spanish patient had undergone psychiatric tests 
to determine if he would be able to confront having a totally new face, the 
hospital said.

Still, rejection is a possibility whenever someone receives an organ or cells 
from someone else because the body regards this as foreign tissue. Rejection, 
which can be life-threatening, can come on suddenly, within days or weeks of 
the operation, or occur years later.

Romo said the patient and doctors are certainly euphoric now but the patient is 
only beginning to recover and even three years from now his body could reject 
the face.

"How do you get a patient psychologically ready for that? I think that is a 
concern that I don't think anybody has dealt with yet," he said.

Unlike operations involving vital organs like hearts and livers, transplants of 
faces or hands are done to improve quality of life _ not extend it. Recipients 
run the risk of deadly complications and must take immune-suppressing drugs for 
the rest of their lives to prevent organ rejection, raising their odds of 
cancer and many other problems.

Still, surgeons say most recipients believe the risk is worth it.

"Absolutely, without a doubt," said Dr. John Barker, director of plastic 
surgery research at the University of Louisville in Kentucky, of his dealing 
with hand transplant patients there.

He said surveys his team has done of more than 500 people - including facially 
disfigured people, surgeons and amputees - give the same result. "It is yes. 
The risk is worth the benefit." - AP

Published April 24 2010


[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Kirim email ke