http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news/world/french-foreign-minister-bernard-kouchner-offers-to-plead-for-womans-life-in-iran/story-e6frg6so-1225915558458

French Foreign Minister Bernard Kouchner offers to plead for woman's life in
Iran
Charles Bremner, Paris
From: The Times
September 08, 2010 12:00AM

THE campaign to save Sakineh Mohammadi Ashtiani, the Iranian woman sentenced to
death by stoning, has gained further momentum after French Foreign Minister
Bernard Kouchner offered to fly to Tehran to plead for her release.

Dr Kouchner said yesterday he would make a personal cause out of the case of
the 43-year-old woman, whose crime was alleged adultery. "I am ready to do
anything to save her. If I must go to Tehran to save her, I shall go," he said.

The Foreign Minister's intervention came as Ms Ashtiani's 22-year-old son and
her lawyer in Tabriz said they feared the authorities could order her sentence
to be carried out soon after Ramadan ends on Friday.

Dr Kouchner's intervention was the most direct so far from a leading country in
the case of Ms Ashtiani, who was convicted in 2006 of having "illicit
relationships" with two men after the murder of her husband a year earlier.

"This is an unbearable punishment, the height of barbarity and a return to the
Middle Ages," Dr Kouchner said after meeting Mohammed Mostafaei, her former
lawyer from Tehran, in Paris. France hopes that EU foreign ministers will agree
to a position on Ms Ashtiani's case by the end of the week.

In London, a spokesman for the Foreign and Commonwealth Office said its
ministers were "committed to maintaining the international pressure on Iran".

"They have made their serious concerns very clear in both public and private,"
he said. "Her suffering is front and centre in our minds as we work with
European partners on this specific case and our wider concerns about human
rights in Iran."

MEPs will vote on a resolution tonight criticising Iran's human rights record
and calling for an end to stoning and the death penalty. The draft resolution
expresses particular concern over Ms Ashtiani and Zahra Bahrami, a
Dutch-Iranian woman in jail in Tehran for taking part in an anti-government
demonstration.

Sajad Ghaderzade, Ms Ashtiani's son, urged the world to keep up pressure on the
regime.

"Ramadan is coming to an end and, according to Islamic law, executions can
resume," he said. He called on Turkey and Brazil, Tehran's allies, to intervene.

Speaking in Paris on a crackly mobile phone from Tabriz, the family's home
town, Mr Ghaderzade said his mother had been cut off from all outside contact
since her televised "confession" on August 11. He feared this could signal
imminent execution.

He said his mother had also received 99 lashes last week as punishment for the
mistaken publication by The Times of a picture that was said to be her. A judge
ordered the whipping for the offence of spreading indecency because the woman
in the picture was not wearing the chador, the traditional head and body
covering.

Houtan Kian, Ms Ashtiani's lawyer in Tabriz, said by telephone that he had
received confirmation of Ms Ashtiani's flogging from a judge and prisoners.

He also said state agents had raided his home and office and removed files and
a laptop computer. They contained the last traces of court verdicts that had
found Ms Ashtiani innocent of involvement in her husband's murder.

"They beat up the caretaker of my apartment building so badly that he was taken
to hospital," he said.

Iranian activists in Paris said the regime appeared to be at odds over Ms
Ashtiani's fate.

Ultra-conservatives believed the sentence should be applied swiftly to defy
world opinion. A more moderate faction was sensitive to outside pressure.

The Times

Related Coverage
  a.. Iran stoning could happen after Ramadan Adelaide Now, 1 day ago
  b.. Iranian on death row given 99 lashes The Australian, 1 day ago
  c.. Iran contrives crime to justify lashes The Australian, 1 day ago
  d.. Iran 'stoning woman' to get 99 lashes Adelaide Now, 3 days ago
  e.. World urged to keep pressure on Iran over stoning The Australian, 4 days
ago