http://arabnews.com/saudiarabia/article129779.ece

Pilgrims complain of unaffordable rents in Makkah
By ARAB NEWS

Published: Sep 8, 2010 01:17 Updated: Sep 8, 2010 01:17

MAKKAH: A large number of Umrah pilgrims, including Saudis, say they are forced
to spend their nights in the courtyards of the Grand Mosque because of
extortionate room rates in Makkah during Ramadan.

The daily rent for ordinary rooms has risen to SR4,000 in Makkah during the
last 10 days of Ramadan, Al-Eqtisadiah daily reported on Monday.

"My family and I spent the night in the courtyard because the room rents are
very high. Actually, we came here with the intention of spending a week in the
holy place. But since I cannot afford the exorbitant rent rate, I decided to
spend one day here and return home," said one Saudi man who was in the holy
city with his wife and children.

There are many foreign Umrah pilgrims who also spend nights in the Grand Mosque
because they cannot afford to stay in a room. Room rates began to shoot up when
thousands of buildings were demolished for the expansion of the courtyards and
other construction work in locations close to Grand Mosque. Another reason for
the hikes is the increasing number of pilgrims going to Makkah during Ramadan.