Thorsten Becker writes:
 > I am using ppower4 version 0.9.4 under Redhat 8.0 with ghostscript version
 > 7.05 and am having problems with the pdfthumb script. Even for a very
 > simple PDF file (two pages without any figures, some background), I get
 > the following error message:
 >
 > > pdfthumb seminar.pdf tmp.pdf
 > This is PDFThumb version 0.1.
 > Reading document...
 > Rendering thumbnail images at 9 dpi...
 > Inserting images into document...
 > Error: Premature end of file after reading 22503 bytes.

This message must come from reading the GhostScript created image
files. It sounds strange, because you write that you get this message
also with a two page document, but could the file system which takes
the temporary files be full?
In any case the offending image file would stay in /tmp or /var/tmp
with a name thumb<m>.<n> after the error.
All such files which I created in a short test interrupting during
inserting the images had a size of 22638 bytes though (from gs 6.53).

Maybe this can help to spot the problem.
        Klaus
--
        Klaus Guntermann        <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
        FG Systemprogrammierung, FB Informatik, TU Darmstadt