On 26/03/2011, at 6:44 AM, Alex Clark wrote:

On 3/25/11 11:45 AM, Wichert Akkerman wrote:
On 2011-3-25 16:03, Alex Clark wrote:
- Ask for feedback on the issue of making collective.transmogrifier
listen for a "transmogrify" target, coming from blueprints who add an
entry point like:

setup(

entry_points="""
[z3c.autoinclude.plugin]
target = transmogrify
"""
)

That would allow a buildout[1] like this to work:

[mr.migrator]
recipe = mr.migrator
pipeline = pipeline.cfg
eggs =
transmogrify.filesystem
transmogrify.ploneremote
transmogrify.pathsorter
transmogrify.printer

Otherwise, we'll need to make mr.migrator accept the ZCML parameter, and
end users will have to list their blueprints twice:

Why not use entrypoints instead instead of relying on zcml in between?
That way you don't need to list them twice, and you get discovery
directly from setuptools.

Why not indeed, that is one of the points of this thread… I have a branch waiting to be merged down, pending MJ's approval: http://svn.plone.org/svn/collective/collective.transmogrifier/branches/aclark-mr-migrator-compat/

But he expressed some concern about the overhead; so this is the part where blueprint authors chime in and say "yes! that would be great!" ;-)

I think what Wichert is suggesting to register configurations and blueprints directly with entry_points

Something like this

    entry_points = {
      'transmogrifier.config' :
         ['funnelweb = funnelweb.registerConfig'],
      'transmogrifier.blueprint':
['transmogrify.xmlsource = transmogrify.xmlsource.xmlsource:XMLSource']
      }

We could put some code into collective.transmogrifier which use these registrations directly as shown in

http://reinout.vanrees.org/weblog/2010/01/06/zest-releaser-entry-points.html

This would bypass the zcml. plugin authors then have a choice of which way they want to register, zcml or entry_point.

except that if they register via zcml in which case mr.migrator would still need a zcml= option to support those plugins.

Alex

Wichert.

--
Alex Clark · http://aclark.net/help-me-help-plone