No, I am not saying fixed length chars is better optimized. This is a
column-by-column
decision for the database designer.

Naturally the decision is specific to a database platform. I only have used the
VFP 9
Varchar when working with cursors created with remote data. There is no benefit
to using
Varchar in a DBF from a space perspective since VFP is all fixed length fields.
The
advantages are from a behavioral aspect in a DBF and perfect when working with
Varchar
data on the backend (eliminates the trailing spaces in the fields when storing
data in the
backend).

SQL backend data is a completely different world.

Varchar is a very good thing when used for columns that vary drastically, or
have data
occasionally needing more space than common for the column. If I have data like
postal
code I know is always 5 or 6 characters I would make this Char. If I have a
comment field
where the user normally puts in 50 or so characters, but occasionally might get
verbose
with 100, then I might make the column Varchar(125) just to leave the user with
some extra
room for growth.

Varchar(1) makes no sense to me, but there may be something I have missed or
overlooked in
my database 101 class.

Rick
White Light Computing, Inc.