On Sep 14, 2006, at 5:07 PM, Garrett Fitzgerald wrote:

Or, you could send it to a mail house *cough cough* that has dedicated
merge-purge software to find dups...

Ahem, ahem -- I suppose, but (as usual) I am oversimplifying the task at hand (so as not to bore y'all with minutia). So, ahem, the other part of the story is an ongoing need that will run interactively. (Same answer to Virgil). Thanks both.

I found a bunch of given/nickname lists on the Wikipedia and a couple of genealogy sites. Made a quick conversion program and ended up with 2,038 unique given/nick name pairs. Because of the genealogy sites, some of the pairs are quite quaint:
 - Algernon/Algy
 - Alphinias/Alphus

Others are pretty, um, unusual (at least to my frame of reference):
 - Araminta/Ruminta
 - Carthaette/Etty

And some that make my head hurt:
 - Casper/Jasper
 - Zadock/Melchizedek

But it achieved my goal of getting the most typical ones, and I can clean it up and add to it over time.

Ken