They symptom is solved and I know what to do but ... I haven't really
dug under the covers on why this symptom manifests itself.

The key is the <TR> and </TR> tags.  For some reason, when the post is
displayed by calling the WordPress function of:
<?php the_content('Read the rest of this entry &raquo;'); ?>
then the <TR><td>...</td></TR> is changed into

the WordPress gods more, and they stop adding in <p> and <br /> tags.  I
haven't peeled back the covers on 'the_content' to see what it's doing
though.  I'll correct my posts with a SQL-UPDATE statement.

Moral of the story: When using HTML in a WordPress post, use lower case
tags.

Thanks everyone for your input!

-Kevin