I'd buy a pen drive and offload some of the stuff you're not using rather than
compress it.

________________________________
 From: Kurt Wendt <kurtwe...@waitex.com>
To: profox@leafe.com
Sent: Wednesday, May 9, 2012 3:25 PM
Subject: [NF] HD Space Issues...

Hey there folks - looking to reach out to the techies here...

This machine I have at home - where I do a lot of my main 3D computer
graphics work - I am running WinXP Pro-64. On one of the drives
(although it may be more specific to say it's a partition on there - it
was a While ago when I first built the workstation) is running low on
space - and it's the Boot partition

I went into Properties & then Disk Tools - to try and get some space
back. Under the Disk Cleanup - its gives an option to "Compress Old
Files" - and its showing a pretty big number. I'm assuming that its old
files that it knows I have not Touched in quite a while. Am I assuming
correctly? And, if it compresses them - does that mean if I try to use
the files - it will decompress them on the Fly?

Also - in the Properties window - there is another check box to
"Compress drive to save disk space". Should I try using that???

In the past - I never ran EITHER of these options. I assumed that when I
do - it compresses files - then decompresses them on the fly when one
tries to access the files. However, I always try to operate that PC at
top speed - since I am doing graphics work on it - and graphics
processing always takes a lot of horsepower. As such - I never trusted
using EITHER of those options.

But, now I want to take a shot at maybe using ONE or Both of those
options - if they actually work Well to save disk space WITHOUT taking a
Big Hit in processing/disk access speeds!

Any thoughts???

Thanks,

-K-

Senior Developer

Waitex Information System, Inc.

P Save a tree. Don't print this e-mail unless it's really necessary.

multipart/alternative
  text/html
---

http://leafe.com/archives/byMID/profox/289ea162f5642645b5cf64d624c66a140e260...@us-ny-mail-002.waitex.net