Just wondering....the folks that have this problem, are they using the same OS? Same OS level?

Mike

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: [NF] perplexing Zip/Excel problem
From: M Jarvis <brewda...@gmail.com>
To: profoxt...@leafe.com
Date: 2/4/2013 1:16 PM
I am having a very perplexing problem opening an XLSX spreadsheet...
Actually I can open it fine, it's a couple of users that are having
the problem.

We have a couple of files parked on our intranet server done in Excel 2010.

When these users click on the web link instead of opening with Excel
like they normally would, they are prompted with a "Do you want to
open or save this file?" dialog, it shows the file name as being XLSX,
but the little icon is appearing as a compressed folder icon rather
than the green X thingy.

I tried the obvious stuff first by confirming file associations for
both Excel and Zip -  they were fine, but I re-associated them anyway.

Compatibility Pack - googling suggested it might be the compatibility
pack for Office so I uninstalled that. No change.

I told IE7 to Open file based on extension rather than content - no joy.

I read that the XLSX format is indeed a compressed file format, but no
one else (that I know of - yet) is having any problems with these two
files. We've been using them for years...

Navigating to the folder where the files live, double clicking, opens
them just fine. Going into Excel, navigating to the files, opens them
just fine.

And of course it's a major hassle to get access to one of these
computers to mess around with trying to find a solution for them -
argh...

Any other suggestions for things to try?