> At the point where I generate the billing, the index I want in place would
> not allow an insert command to duplicate a billing for that
> student/class/session. I just assumed unique meant only 1 allowed per
> table.

It's a common misunderstanding. CANDIDATE and PRIMARY keys only allow
unique values. UNIQUE are an old remnant of a quirky FoxPro behavior and
should NEVER be used.

There's a difference between UNIQUE index in VFP and the SQL standard for a unique index. Here's the latter:

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/487314/primary-key-or-unique-index

Maybe that's what Gary is thinking of?

Ken Dibble
www.stic-cil.org