DEFINE CLASS MemoBox AS EditBox
     PROCEDURE InteractiveChange
          trcask603=LEN(ALLTRIM(this.value))

          * Your original code below; it throws a Syntax error because
          * you have an uneven number of double quotes and/or a missing
          * plus (+) sign.
*thisform.label9.Caption="Description of project ("+ALLTRIM(STR(trcask603))+" size)" lines)"

          * My similar code, below, works.
thisform.label9.Caption="Description of project ("+ALLTRIM(STR(trcask603))+" size lines)"

          thisform.label9.Refresh
     ENDPROC
ENDDEFINE

And in your original code above:

thisform.label9.Refresh

is actually incorrect. It should be:

thisform.label9.Refresh()

The code will run, at least in the IDE, at least on my computer in VFP 9 SP 1, at least for the moment. It should not run at all, though, and likely won't in a compiled app or under other rather unpredictable circumstances, including, perhaps, yours. I've been caught by that little weirdness several times over the years.

Ken Dibble
www.stic-cil.org