El 12/09/13 14:21, Graham Brown escribió:
Hi all

One of my customers has asked to buy out the rights to one of my products.
Currently there is only the one company using this.

Normally my projects do not include the source because previously another
client took the source, developed his own application with my libraries and set
up in competition with me. Cost me about £30k in lost business.

Previously when this happened I had one customer try to enforce "no writing software
for 8 years after the sale" and another wanting 20% royalty on all derivative works
which is basically everything and everybody. I told both of them where to go.

This new chap wants ownership of just the one product. The chap has said he
will pay for this but I've no idea what to charge or what terms I should impose
or accept.

Just wondering how to deal with this

Graham, this is capitalism. There is no intrinsic value to things. Just what you can get away with. So I would evaluate how much revenue I might loose from this sale. Then how much might I loose from competition from my customer. Add them up and that's a minimum, then I would charge over that as much as I thought I may get out of them. And be sure to add all the legalese bullshit about no implied guarantees and that you may also use the code for whatever you want, etc.