> As long as we're getting all theoretical here, data validation should not
> be handled by the grid object. The grid should be able to call out to an
> object where you store your business rules. Then all your default control
> valid method code can be is something like
> <businessObject>.validateMe(this) and you can do something similar in the
> before and after rowcolchange events for row level validations. You still
> have to write all your business rules/validation code, of course, but
> instead of having it embedded in individual controls in the grid it's all
> in one place.
>
> Now whether a grid is suitable as a data entry UI is another discussion
> which starts to verge on the TABs vs spaces discussion.

Here here!!!  +1

+ another 1.

And due diligence constrains me to point out that a user's eyes, moving left to right (in most countries) while quickly entering data across a wide grid will have a good chance of tracking incorrectly down to the next row, with potentially disastrous results.

Requiring the user to fill out a collection of individual, spaced, and labeled controls that can only be tied to one record prevents this common error, among others such as not remembering which column refers to which date (along with being a lot easier to validate).

Ken Dibble
www.stic-cil.org