Hi Guys,

I am primarily a Foxpro programmer, but I also have IT customers for other
issues.
I have a few customer that always have requests for modifications, but
sometimes they forget to tell me or to follow up.
On occasion, this relaxed environment of support causes some stress. A customer
mentions some modification they want and all of the sudden they are upset it's
not ready, even thou they never actually explained or formalized the request.
Oh well, my customers are too close... like family one might say.
So I decided to use a formal Help Desk system to help keep my requests in line
and organized.
Now, here comes the beef.
Good Help Desk systems for IT are SOOOOOOOOO expensive.
I am basically a 1 man shop. I subcontract on occasion and I am subcontracted
on others. So I can't afford an expensive solution.
So far, here's what I found.

1. Spiceworks: great asset management and help desk if you are on location. It
was not created for MSPs so the workaround to make it workable for MSP render
it more of a nuisance than an asset.

2. Freshdesk: great help desk cloud based software that's FREE for up to 3
users. It's easy to get it up and running and it looks good also. You can add
your company logo to their support portal. Also, it has time tracking features.
For the Help Desk is quite what I expect it to be and did I mention it's
FREE??! The things that give me pause about Freshdesk are: a) the website speed
seems a tad slow; b) it's a cloud solution (I rather have the data on my
server); c) pricing $40/user/month if you want their full solution;

I looked into other solutions, but most cost thousands to operate. If anyone
has a suggestion, please feel free to share with the others.
I decided to create this thread because I am sure some of you may be struggling
to decide on some type of solution.

Btw, I don't discard using Spiceworks on some customer sites for asset
management. I am just discouraged to use the help desk after installing it and
having an email exchange with their support. They were very dismissive of the
needs of a small MSP. Like, you need this enhancement then this software is not
for you... bummer. The software install on my server was a breeze. It's just
useless since the Help Desk does not have company as a standard field, there
are no user levels, and the portal doesn't request a password for you to log
in!!!!!!!!! Amazingly poor design.

Happy Holidays!!!

José Olavo Cerávolo
http://www.ceravoloconsulting.com/