On 5/18/15 10:51 AM, Leland Jackson wrote:

On 5/18/15 10:21 AM, Leland Jackson wrote:

On 5/18/15 9:01 AM, Ted Roche wrote:
On Mon, May 18, 2015 at 9:43 AM, Dave Crozier <da...@flexipol.co.uk> wrote:
Damnit ... I think I'm becoming a Fanboi! How sad! Yes it was expensive, but the applecare warranty means that in 2 years it will still be a saleable machine should I want to get rid of it.
While there are some questions on their QA lately, and they do try too
hard to lock you in, Apple does make a beautifully designed machine.

I and the wife have been running Macbook Pro for about 6 months. We're running the mid 2014 models that come with the beautiful retina display. See here: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1072689-REG/apple_mgxc2ll_a_15_4_macbook_pro_notebook.html

I've been very happy with mine. It works well with my Linux media server and postgresql, Apache, Postfix, DBmail server. I can network/connect to my Linux computer using NFS. I have not used ssh, as I'm mostly working within my LAN, but I'm sure you wouldn't have any problem using it. If you're familiar with the Linux/Unix command line syntax you're good to go in OS X 10.10 Yosemite.

The keyboard is not full scale, (eg no numeric keypad), but it feel good to me, once I adjusted to it. You can easily add to the basic package by buying a full keyboard, magic mouse, and you can stream the macbook pro screen to any modern hdtv over hdmi. just connect the two together.

I'm also running Oracle's Virtualbox on my macbook pro, and it preforms perfectly.

Also there is more support on the macbook pro for apps. For example, turbotax provide a native version of its income tax software; no vm needed. lol

Regards,

LelandJ

I forgot to mention that the Macbook pro's functionality increases when using other apple products like iphone, for example. I have my iphone 6+ configured as a personal hotspot, so I can access the internet form anywhere by connecting to my iphone 6+ over Wi-Fi. Also, I brought a BOSS Bluetooth speaker for high quality sound, (eg http://www.bose.com/controller?url=/shop_online/digital_music_systems/bluetooth_speakers/soundlink_wireless_speaker/index.jsp&srccode=cii_17588969&cpncode=45-54000377-2&perfsourceid=K22350&src=K22350). It's all very portable. I use a Filson breifcase, which hold everything comfortably, (eg http://www.filson.com/products/Filson-Padded-Computer-Bag.70258.html?utm_source=google&utm_medium=googlebase&utm_campaign=GoogleBase&kpid=70258200135&kpid=70258242135&gclid=CPWhlqHSy8UCFYNDaQodmZ4A9A).

Regards,

LelandJ

One other nice feature I forgot to mention. The apple products come with icloud to keep all you're apple devices backed up. The icloud account coordinates among your devices. For example, if I update a spreadsheet on my iPhone 6+, the next time I open the spreadsheet on my macbook pro, the spreadsheet will open with the changes made per the iphone 6+. That's a nice feature. lol. The icloud account is free within limits. Once you max the free storage out, you pay for to additional storage.

Apple is a strong company and the biggest company currently listed on any stock exchange. The method used to calculate companies sizes is total number of shares outstanding multiplied by the current price per share.

Regards,

LelandJ