Coding is the easy part. The harder part is making the right decision on how
you want to connect. With VFP you have lots of options, that's one of the
things that makes VFP so powerful.
Here are some considerations you'll have to account for. On how to connect

1. Pass-through (ODBC) - with this option, you'll have to consider if you want
to connect to the clients programmatically, or if you wish to set up a data
source name (DSN).   Pro. Very flexible, very fast and powerful. Con. It can be
very labor intensive

2. Remote views, this will require a DBC. Again, you'll have to decide if you
want to use the programmatically connection string, or a data source name.
Pro. Very easy to use. It takes care of all of your inserts, updates for you,
which makes it very convenient.    Con. In question is very large, It can
become very slow.

3. ADO, is just another way of connecting to the server, it is very outdated,
but still works.    Pro. Very similar to pass-through with much more
restrictions, it returns a data object that you can traverse through to pull
specific data you looking for.    Con. Can be difficult to work with, requires
lots of additional work and if you're working with only one language in this
case VFP. It doesn't make sense to use it

3. SQL Server data provider, I really never worked with this because it just
seems to me, It is a waste of time. When it comes to actually working with VFP
and MS SQL Server. There are some data engines out there where you have only
the choice of using the data provider. It is mostly used in the.net world,
guessing.

For my money, when it comes to using VFP. I would much rather prefer option 1,
the pass-through and handling my connections programmatically. Therefore, do
not have to set up any data source names on the client machines, which is a
huge timesaver and gives you much more security. In fact, all of your
connection string information can be stored in a table.

I genuinely use remote views for quick and dirty stuff. But I have used the
remote view on a project with great success, and I do have to admit it really
was a timesaver.

There are all kinds of examples online and the VFP help does provide good
health and examples.

Be careful, VFP can really spoil you and make life easy for you. When
connecting to third-party databases. So if you like me, who jumps back and
forth between .net and Visual FoxPro, you start to realize how  it is using
Visual FoxPro <g>

Cheers,
Claude
Mesquite Information Technologies, LLC.