Thanks Tracey (as always)

Here's a snippet of my code

loUsed=0
lbOpenOutlook  = .F.
On Error lbOpenOutlook =.T.
oOutLook = Getobject(,"Outlook.Application")  &&if outlook is not open this
will cause an error and thus set lbOpenOutlook to true
On Error
If lbOpenOutlook  && if true Outlook needs to be opened
   oOutLook=Createobject("Outlook.Application")
Endif
Do trmurphy

lcSigContent=''
Do wkoutlook3 &&check for a signature

#Define olMailItem 0
xouts=.t.
ON ERROR xouts=.f.
oMailItem = oOutLook.CreateItem( olMailItem )