You're absolutely right Stephen. I will not contest that.

Amazon does have a complete security scheme, but as I said before, my  clients are not that fuzzy. They are small and very glad that they can be "on line" all the time, checking availability of products in any of their branches, etc., etc. And the HO staff being able to update prices, see how sales are developing, etc, etc.

If comes to security issues I would probably contract a AWS VPN or whatever is needed, but for now, I'm OK with what I've got.

Rafael

El 24/10/2017 a las 11:49, Stephen Russell escribió:
>From a security POV placing your database in the DMZ is not as secure as it
is behind that firewall.  When you place your systems in the Cloud that is
a benefit you define for yourself.

http://docs.aws.amazon.com/AmazonVPC/latest/UserGuide/VPC_Security.html

It is your customer's data and you should make it as secure as possible,
right?  Have you ever hired white hat hackers to test your vulnerability?
Some of our customers demand this before they sign trading partner
contracts with us.

On Tue, Oct 24, 2017 at 9:35 AM, <

On 2017-10-24 07:59, Rafael Copquin wrote:

Hi Michael

Yes you can! I don't know which of your presidents said that, but it
applies here I guess.

As I said in that post, I am an old programmer with very little
patience to read an enormous amount of information. But my son,
currently working for a US company as a software engineer enlightened
me and helped me set it up.

I opened an account in AWS, and for a year I shall be able to use
their services for free. In AWS you have something they call RDS,
which is basically what I was looking for: a SQL Server as a service,
meaning all I need is to instance a SQL Server and work from anywhere
accessing all of the databases. And I will just pay for what I use and
for the time I use it. it has to do with hours per month, or number of
clicks or whatever, but it will amount to no more that 50 bucks, for
what I gather.

They have MySQL also as a service I believe, but since I only deal
with SQL Server, I would not know how good that is.

But the important thing here is you do not need to get a VM with a SQL
engine inside, which is the case with Google Cloud Computing. You can
get one though, through a different service they call EC2 and EC3, but
that is too much for my limited purposes. (I have small clients, with
few stores to operate, so I do not need too much complexity)

In my case, I simply create a ODBC connection string and use it in my
VFP app, accessing the AWS SQL Server with as much ease as I can
access the LAN server.

BTW, because in my country sometimes we have problems with the
internet service, I implemented a special routine that will access a
local server as well. In case there is a connection failure, the
stores work locally and then, when the service is restored, the
routine updates the cloud server with all the transactions missed. No
big deal there.

I know I could set up a replication paradigm, but then it costs more
money and my stingy clients do not like to pay too much.

I hope it helps

Regards

Rafael Copquin

Thanks, Rafael!  This sounds exactly like what I was talking about.
Currently, my ISP hosts my MySQL (MariaDB) databases and I just use a
simple SQLSTRINGCONNECT handle to work with it, as though it were on the
local LAN.  Costwise I think he's great for what I'm doing, but you know
how the buzzwords sell magazines so to speak and if I could use a database
on AWS that would allow me to market "using the AWS Cloud" as well.  That
brings credibility.

Glad it's this easy.  It should be!