On 2017-11-20 13:01, Paul H. Tarver wrote:
I agree with you, I do not install anything in Program Files or other
Microsoft suggested locations. In fact, I've been building old school style for a while now. Where possible, I am installing all files in my own folders
including avoiding installing anything in the Registry. You all will
probably laugh at this strategy, but hear me out.

Yes, there is a Santa Clause and yes, I still store settings in .INI files.
Here's why: I write software utilities that often have to be moved by
clients either between computers or from local drives to network shares. All my data is stored in a sub-folder below the program installation folder as are all supporting files. Main program files and settings files are stored in the program installation folder, including MSVCR71.DLL and MSVCP71.DLL to support vfpcompression.fll and other elements like the VFP runtimes also stored in my main program folder. The only files I install outside of this main folder or subfolders are MSCOMCT2.OCX and MSCOMCT2.SRG which provide the Calendar popup I use (and one day when I have nothing else to do, I'll find a replacement I like and get rid of that too, but in the meantime I include an installer just for that if the user happens to move our program
and need the OCX installed.)

The IT admins that I work with have told me explicitly that they love the flexibility our method of programming gives them particularly in a corporate environment where change is a given. They can move our programs by copying a single folder and updating a shortcut. They can add a new user by creating a shortcut and they can change a server or workstation out without breaking our program. AND, they can back up one folder and if there is a crash, copy
that folder to a new hard drive and start running the application
immediately.

I've never bought in to the whole idea of storing my stuff in someone else's
environment. Laugh if you like, but it works for me and it works for my
clients. Obviously, building a true Client-Server system requires different mindset since you'll need a database server, but for what I make the most
money on today, my strategy works for me.

Hi Paul,

My strategy is very similar to yours. I still use INI files and they work great for the reasons you stated!

--Mike