On Wed, Apr 11, 2018 at 8:31 PM, Gene Wirchenko <ge...@telus.net> wrote:

>      I am puzzled why (alimport) works for the SQL but not the append from,
> but whatever.

I agree with you that it is un-intuitive that aliases work *almost*
everywhere. It's one of those hundreds of FoxPro's "always been that
way" things.

As others have said, APPEND FROM is ancient nearly-original XBase.
While it was updated occasionally for new file formats, the main
purpose of the command is a low-level IMPORT (sibling command) from
foreign formats and not as a cursor-manipulation command, so it's
intended for reading files-on-disk and not cursors.

--
Ted Roche
Ted Roche & Associates, LLC