On Fri, May 4, 2018 at 11:04 AM, Alan Bourke <alanpbou...@fastmail.fm> wrote:
> On Fri, 4 May 2018, at 3:57 PM, AndyHC wrote:
>>
>> Doesn't the "I'm on a metered connection" thing work?
>
> It appears that it does.
>
> However this forced update thing is only a problem for the Home version. The
> Pro, Enterprise and Education versions have a supported method of turning
> this behaviour off via a menu option or group policy, and anyone using Win 10
> in a business or education context should be using one of those versions.

Yes. The "I'm on a metered connection" works for Home, too. I'm doing
family tech support on this one. However, I tried the "put on hold"
option for the 1803 update, and then switched the Ethernet to
unmetered and it _still_ installed the brand-new, unpatched, buggy
1803 "Feature Update" at 1.65 gigabytes. Microsoft's new motto of
"We're going to do what we think is good for you whether you like it
or not" is a bit presumptuous. Next time, I'm installing "Pro" on all
the machines I have to support.

--
Ted Roche
Ted Roche & Associates, LLC