From: ProfoxTech <profoxtech-boun...@leafe.com> On Behalf Of Dave Crozier
Sent: Tuesday, May 22, 2018 12:07 PM
To: profoxt...@leafe.com
Subject: Microsoft Catch 22 RDP Update

Gentlemen,
Just had a 1 day full on panic here with the latest May 2018 update from
Microsoft for Server 2008 and 2012. All the RDP (Remote desktop) sessions that
used to connect now do NOT connect due to a change in the security settings on
any client that has the latest Windows Updates.

This has caused us real grief as we run multiple remote sessions onto the VM’s
on a 3 node cluster. Only one of the nodes on the cluster ran an automatic
update along with a few of the VM’s and we found it made RDP access via either
HyperV connect or standard RDP impossible:

“An Authentication error has occurred
The function requested is not supported/

Remote computer xx.xx.xx.xx
This could be due to CredSSP encryption oracle remediation.
For more information see https://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=899990”

Nothing to do with oracle at all and all due to M$ updating security settings
on a whim so as to mitigate the external code execution threat:

“CVE-2018-0886: "A remote code execution vulnerability exists in unpatched
versions of CredSSP. An attacker who successfully exploits this vulnerability
could relay user credentials to execute code on the target system. Any
application that depends on CredSSP for authentication may be vulnerable to
this type of attack."

The solution, should any of you encounter this error is to update the server as
well as the clients the May 2018 update level, not simply the client or the
server. Fortunately this was fairly easy as we migrated all the VM’s onto a
spare node, upgraded the empty node and then migrated back and then connected
to each VM via HyperV connect and did the 2018-05 updates.

At one stage we found ourselves unable to HyperV connect or RDP into any
servers as our development machines are all updated automatically. Hence we
were in a catch 22 situation….. Can’t connect to server in order to update the
server, which would allow connection to the very server we couldn’t connect to.
Thank god we had a spare cluster to migrate to!

All in all a totally wasted day as some of the retrograde updates took over 60
minutes per VM and we have about 20 of them. Oh Joy!

Thanks for the ‘heads up’ Mr Microsoft …. Where can I send the bill?

Dave Crozier
Software Development Manager
Flexipol Packaging Ltd.

This communication and the information it contains is intended for the person
or organisation to whom it is addressed. Its contents are confidential and may
be protected in law. If you have received this e-mail in error you must not
copy, distribute or take any action in reliance on it. Unauthorised use,
copying or disclosure of any of it may be unlawful. If you have received this
message in error, please notify us immediately by telephone or email.

Flexipol Packaging Ltd. has taken every reasonable precaution to minimise the
risk of virus transmission through email and therefore any files sent via
e-mail will have been checked for known viruses. However, you are advised to
run your own virus check before opening any
attachments received as Flexipol Packaging Ltd will not in any event accept any
liability whatsoever once an e-mail and/or any attachment is received.

It is the responsibility of the recipient to ensure that they have adequate
virus protection.

Flexipol Packaging Ltd.
Unit 14 Bentwood Road
Carrs
Industrial Estate
Haslingden
Rossendale
Lancashire
BB4 5HH

Tel:01706-222792
Fax: 01706-224683
www.Flexipol.co.uk

Terms & Conditions:

Notwithstanding delivery and the passing of risk in the goods, the property in
the goods shall not pass to the buyer until the seller
Flexipol Packaging Ltd. ("The Company") has received in cash or cleared funds
payment in full of the price of the goods and all other goods agreed to be sold
by the seller to the buyer for which payment is then due. Until such time as
the property in the goods passes to the buyer, the buyer shall hold the goods
as the seller's fiduciary agent and bailee and keep the goods separate from
those of the buyer and third parties and properly stored protected and insured
and identified as the seller's property but shall be entitled to resell or use
the goods in the ordinary course of its business. Until such time as the
property in the goods passes to the buyer the seller shall be entitled at any
time

http://leafe.com/archives/byMID/profox/18725b8cd2d5d247873a2baf401d4ab2bedb1...@ex2010-a-fpl.fpl.LOCAL
Report [OT] Abuse:
http://leafe.com/reportAbuse/18725b8cd2d5d247873a2baf401d4ab2bedb1...@ex2010-a-fpl.fpl.LOCAL