In SSMS run this script
CREATE PROCEDURE newEmployee
-- Add the parameters for the stored procedure here
@name varchar(75)
, @dob datetime = null
AS
BEGIN
-- SET NOCOUNT ON added to prevent extra result sets from
-- interfering with SELECT statements.
SET NOCOUNT ON;

    Insert into Employees values(@name, @dob)

END
GO

In your VP app:

cCmd =  [exec newEmployee 'john Doe'  ]

sqlexec(nHandle,cCmd)

>From wherever you can do this
select * from Employees

You should see this:

name dob
john Doe NULL

To get the date in use this statement:
exec newEmployee 'Tommy Doe', '1997-01-05'

You will now see  this:
name dob
john Doe NULL
Tommy Doe 1997-01-05 00:00:00.000

Let SQL do the work for you and just call that code for all your necessary
functionality in the future.