Good day all,

As I promised, will keep you updated.

On foxite I also made the same announcement I posted here, regarding the X# Roadmap for 2019.

Tom Knauf, then responded with the following.  I also include my reply.  Hope it is of interest to some of hopefully all:

> What I am mising is something like execscript(cCode).
> I can have any code including if then, variables, calls to own functions,... in a char variable and it will be executed. > We built a complex script system to allow user their own workflow and never found a good replascement in c#, windev,...
> An own parser would be extremly much work to do.
> Any plans/ideas on that ?

Hi Tom,

No plans/ideas are needed. X# already contains xsScript. The following will already run:

*File:HelloWord.prgx // Note the x in the file name if you want it to run directly.

CLASS  MyHelloWorldClass
  PROTECTED  txtAS  STRING

  CONSTRUCTOR()&& The Init of VFP classes
    txt :="Hello World from Class"
  RETURN

  PROPERTY SpeakAS  STRING  GET txt&& Access/Assign = PROPERTY GET/SET in X#
END  CLASS
FUNCTION  HelloWorld()AS  STRING
RETURN  "Hello World from Function"
PROCEDURE  HelloWorldProc()
  System.Windows.Forms.Console.Writeline("Hello world from Procedure")
RETURN

FUNCTION  Start()AS  VOID
  ?HelloWorld()
  HelloWorldProc()
  ?MyHelloWorldClass{}:Speak
RETURN

*End of File:HelloWorld.prgx

In your program you just have to

obj := xsScript(cCode :=FileToStr("c:\...\HelloWorld.prgx"))
&& Note obj will now hold an in memory compiled version of HelloWorld.prgx,
&& that you can happily pass anywhere in your application,
&& no "parsing" of the script needed anymore!!!!
obj:Start()

You now speaking to the Clipper guy who already work the last 25 years exclusively on what you describe above, called in the Clipper/VO/Vulcan/X# world Data-driven applications. I have a slightly different approach, I store my scripts in a Relational Database and not in zillions of txt files.

I am busy writing a series on the concept of which the first 12 of [Insert end of series here] articles are already available in the downloads area of the X# webpage.
https://www.xsharp.info/itm-downloads?folder=general%252FLessons

Would you be interested in a joint venture, where we take the best of both those worlds

Solution := ((XBase := VFP * Clipper fork) * (Knowledge := Tom * Johan) *
(Environment  := X# * .NET))
? Solution:ToString()&& A 100% .NET solution that runs at 99% of the speed of a compiled Application.NET, but was created in 1% of the time it will require a developer to roll out in PRG files?

Looking forward to hear from you or anybody else using data-driven techniques,

Johan Nel
George, South Africa
Friends of XSharp
http://xsharp.info <http://xsharp.info/>