On 20/05/2019 19:39, Fletcher Johnson wrote:
> Not sure where the "Had to be bad coding" comes in.
>
> For example, if you did "select * from employee where last name = 'Smith'"
> you would get a cursor of only those employees.  The employee table would
> still be open, but VFP opened it again, in a different work area, with a
> different alias, and then put a set filter.  Edits to this cursor would be
> written to the actual source table.

Are you sure about that?  Never heard of that behaviour before.
If I do a "Select * from picorder where vt_desc = 'India' into cursor
mycursor" I get a standalone cursor that I can't update (DBF() =
C:\TEMP\0000FABT02AV.TMP)
If I do a "Select * from picorder where vt_desc = 'India' into cursor
mycursor READWRITE" I still get a stand alone cursor that can be updated
but won't affect the source table.
If I leave off the into cursor mycursor then I still get a stand alone
cursor called query.

I don't know if that behaviour was from an older VFP version but I don't
remember it.  Am I getting Alzheimer's?  Somebody put me out of my
misery :-)

Peter

This communication is intended for the person or organisation to whom it is
addressed. The contents are confidential and may be protected in law.
Unauthorised use, copying or disclosure of any of it may be unlawful. If you
have received this message in error, please notify us immediately by telephone
or email.

www.whisperingsmith.com

Whispering Smith Ltd Head Office:61 Great Ducie Street, Manchester M3 1RR.
Tel:0161 831 3700
Fax:0161 831 3715

London Office: 101 St. Martin's Lane,London, WC2N 4AZ  Tel:0207 299 7960