Apologies for not responding immediately, seems this post got into the wrong folder.

On Mon, 26 Aug 2019, at 6:17 PM, Patrick Bibro wrote:
>> How useful would xsharp be in migrating a VFP application to .NET with the >> ultimate goal of having a C# application? Could it be converted to X# and
>> then decompiled into C#?

> Since it presumably generates CIL like any .NET language, you could then
> decompile it back into C# or VB.Net. Whether the code you get back is of
> any quality is another question. Tools like ILSPY aren't really designed for
> that purpose.

Yes X# generates CIL, since it is build on Roslyn the c# compiler.

There is also a plug-in for ILSPY to view any .NET assembly in X# syntax,
same goes for decompiling it into X#.  I have used it successfully for that
purpose.  Still some minor code changes needed, but Fabrice is constantly
working on enhancing the ILSPY plug-in.

For converting X# code to other .NET languages, it might look "odd" due to
.NET languages being strict typed.

In X# it is allowed to do late-binding, hence:

LOCAL i
i := 0
i := "Foo"

is acceptable, however c#/VB.NET don't like that, so you will find decompiled
X# code in c# looking like:

XSharp.__Usual i;
i = 0;
i = "Foo";

It is not a problem as long as you reference the XSharp(XBase) runtime in your c# project, because that is how X# internally convert late-bound variables to a Type
USUAL that manages all XBase type variables.

> In terms of migration I would see X# as mainly being used for building
> DLLs that leverage existing non-UI code, and then use those assemblies
> in a C# solution.  Alan Bourke

As you stated, yes non-UI is probably a primary interest for migration, business classes and processes, but it also gives you the ability to interface to DBF etc.  It is anticipated that VFP UI should also be supported, ideally as WinForms/WPF, but as in the case of Visual-Objects the VO Window classes were so far from WinForms that they were implemented with same behaviour as separate classes in X#.  The next month or two will give a clear indication how VFP UI will be handled.  Matt Slay and I have done some work taking scx/vcx files and convert them to X# and VS Designer code.  Most work, but there might be some anomalies that will
have to be fixed manually.  Time will tell.

Regards,

Johan Nel

multipart/alternative
 text/html