In uber complicated queries or counts, in this case, I'll add various
counts in a query that uses UNION to allow index seeks per param with an
index hint for each that I am interested in.

Granted raw VFP will pull the entire cdx into ram and probably the entire
table because we have so much ram, and vfp table size is tiny.  Local ram
always kicks ass.  My current db file is 1.8TB.  My SQL server in Prod has
60 gig of ram for the instance that holds my ERP db.  It jams for doing the
traditional functionality all day, any day.  Nightly we pull
relevant business data into our DW.  Against the DW I can do any processing
I want and never stress the ERP system.

Our business rule is to never touch the live ERP system unless you are
after just in time data.  We only have 2 usage cases that need to do that
so far.  Customer portal updates on daily shipments in one and the
Certificate of Analysis for every truckload leaving.

We are very proud of holding that line.    We do 150-250 trucks a day
depending on the day in the week.