Greetings!

If you are looking for a free alternative AntiVirus app, and are not finding
AVG viable, try www.comodo.com.  I have the tenants in one of my homes using
it, and thus far used in conjunction with Spybot in Resident Mode they have
not had any issues.  Of course, just because they have not had any evidence
of attacks on their PCs does not mean the Comodo/Spybot approach has been
working, as things may have gotten through undetected <g>.  But, thus far
there have been no symptoms of attacks since installing Comodo/Spybot.
Previously they ran AVG, and they did get attacked.  During a recent visit
to SoCal I cleaned the PCs up for them using SpySweeper, CA AntiSpyware,
Spybot and Ad-Aware.  They did not want to spend the $ for Norton AntiVirus
for 2 PCs, AVG did not protect them to their satisfaction, so I went the
Comodo/Spybot route.

For a more mainstream alternative I recommend and use Symantec Corporate
AntiVirus 10.x (SAV).  Configured correctly you can eliminate the
performance problems found with the default setup (same for Norton
AntiVirus, but NAV will not run on Windows Server class PCs).

Do not get the SAV Small Business (SMB) version, go for Corporate or Value
edition.  Price ought to be the same between versions (actually less than
the Norton AntiVirus version from Symantec!).  The "SMB" version requires a
license key file on each client PC, whereas the Value/Corporate version does
not require any silly annually updated license key files on the PCs (Server
or Client PC).  Properly configured I find SAV offers great protection,
tremendous Tech Support, minimal performance impedance and can be had for
less per PC than the retail Norton AntiVirus solution.

The SAV "Server" does not have to be a Windows Server class PC.  I have SAV
Server software running on a Windows 2000 Pro machine for one client.  Nor
does using SAV require you to even have a SAV Server PC to oversee and
manage the other PCs on a network.  But, having a PC used as the SAV Server
allows you to configure, monitor and manage all PCs (Windows Server or
Client O/Ses) on a network from a single "Symantec System Center"
application.  Very slick, and once you figure out the ins & outs of
configuring the system you will love it.  Also, you do not need or want to
install the optional Servers for Centralized Updates, or their Rollout
Tools.  Unless you are running SAV for hundreds of PCs (like 500+), just let
each PC hit the symantec.com site for their updates.

SAV will run on either Server or Client class PCs with Windows 2000, 2003 or
XP.  Version 10.x will not run on NT4, 98, ME or earlier O/Ses, but the
predecessor v-9.x will.  Symantec will let you download v-9.x for Win 98, ME
or NT machines under your v-10.x license.  You may need to call Tech Support
for that, although my 10.x packages included a SAV v-9.0 CD for legacy
Windows O/S versions.  And on a SAV "Server" the Symantec System Center can
be configured to manage any other PCs running SAV v-7.6 or later IF it is
configured correctly (my documentation covers that, see below).

If you do go for the Symantec AntiVirus app there are some settings you need
to configure to maximize your performance.  I put together a document with
Screen Shots that show the various settings I found help prevent the
software from impeding performance, and yet offer tremendous protection.
The documentation covers version 10.0.1.  There are several slightly later
releases on the market now, still of the v-10.x vintage.  There may be
slight differences with these newer versions, and my documentation should
still offer some good info.  But YMMV as compared to those versions and my
documentation.

One place you can get SAV for reasonable is where I purchase license for
myself and clients at Amdex Computers (Ask for Ed O'Brien) at 585-321-2840,
tell him Gil Hale referred you (no kickback, but I like him to know I am
beating the bushes for him, he is an honorable person).  Or you can go to
www.buycheapsoftware.com.

You can snag my Symantec Corporate AntiVirus documentation at:
gilhale.dnsalias.com

If using an ftp Client app, be certain Passive ftp mode is OFF. Log on as an
anonymous user

If you are using IE make certain "allow ftp views" is ON, and "Passive Mode"
is OFF, in the IE Advanced Internet Options screen.  Connect using
ftp://gilhale.dnsalias.com, which logs you on as an anonymous user.

Navigate to the "SymantecAntiVirusInstallationDocumentation" directory and
download the file named "SymantecAntiVirusInstallationDocumentation.zip", or
download each non-Zip file individually if you prefer.

My documentation is more geared to upgrading from v-9.x to 10.x, but you
will find it is a good guide to follow for an initial v-10.x installation
anyway.

Good Luck!

Gil